Hi,

Has anyone got the war diary for

5th Battalion, King’s Shropshire Light Infantry

for Thursday 3 May 1917 (and the 4th) ?

Very grateful if someone could post same,

Many thanks,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

I do not have the war diary yet, would the Regimental History do ?

Annette

Hi Graeme

I do not have the war diary yet, would the Regimental History do ?

Annette

Hi Annette

Researching

Corporal 8795 Frederick William FRYER, 5th Battalion, King’s Shropshire Light Infantry

KiA Thursday 3 May 1917

I have the following

Frederick was born in Marylebone, London to David and Hannah Fryer later of 21, Mill Lane, Carshalton, Surrey. His father was employed as a house painter and his mother a washer in a laundry.

Frederick enlisted in the Army at Kingston-on-Thames and joined the Birmingham City Police on Wednesday 5 November 1913 at 23 years of age upon completing his term. He served on ‘C’ Division with warrant number 8397 ,

Frederick was called up on reserve on Tuesday 4 August 1914 returning to his battalion. He was drafted to France with the 1st Battalion within the regiment on Sunday 20 September 1914.

On Saturday 28 April 1917 Frederick’s battalion moved into Niger Trench near Wancourt in the Arras sector. On Thursday 3 May 1917 orders were given for an attack to be made on the German held Ape Trench in order to straighten the lines. Frederick’s battalion was detailed to occupy and hold Ape Trench once the initial assaulting force had captured the position.

The attack was a success with Ape Trench being captured and Frederick’s battalion maintaining possession until relieved on the night of Friday 4 May 1917. Casualties of 12 men killed were taken during the attack.

Frederick has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial on Bay 7.

If you have anything more I would be grateful,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Frederick is commemorated on Carshalton war memorial. I have a small bit of additional info - see my website www.carshaltonwarmemorial.webs.com for details.

The information came from two mentions in the local paper The Carshalton & Wallington Advertiser, dated May 14th 1915 and August 27th 1915.

If you want larger pics of the memorial / plaque that Frederick appears on, PM me or contact me via the website and I'll send them over.

It also looks like there is a Birmingham City Police Roll of Honour all the info doesn't seem to be appearing on the web page - http://www.westmidlandspolicemuseum.co.uk/ww1.htm

Regards,

ASA1

Graeme

I don't have the May diaries for the 5th but I do have 14th Division HQ docs for the period (thanks to Stilletto). They have a lot of material on the 3rd May which will prove useful I am sure. For example your description above does not really tally with what is described in the HQ diaries. The attack was part of the first day of the 3rd Scarpe; more than a straightening of the line! Also 5th KSLI were one of the 2 leading battalions, not a follow up one. If you PM me an email address I am sure I can help.

Jim

Hi Asa and Jim,

Many thanks for your input. I have sent PM's.

Re the Police web site.

I gained access to the Birmingham City Police records and produced a book for them covering the WW1 and WW2 casualties.

It was supposed to go on their web site and, as you have seen, was all set up to be put on and then..... nothing.

Now I have some spare time I have been trying to update my work with the remaining War Diary entries, hence my request.

Once again, many thanks,

Graeme