The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed from service number

chrisainsley

Hi

trying to do some sherlock holmes work and drawing a blank :(

here is the medal card for my great grandfather

I am trying to work out an approximate enlistment date

would anybody be able to help me with that from his service numbers on this card...

I presume he joined up with the Ox Bucks L.I. and then transfered to MGC

I need an approx date to start with..

he isnt listed at NA other than the MIC

any assitance appreciated

post-21327-1268820561.jpg

From the medal card it looks like a 1916 enlistment or at least no overseas service before then as there is no 1915 Star entitlement. I am sure there will be experts along who will be able to do some more precise dating from the numbers.

Good Luck.

Peridot

22052 Ox & Bucks transferred into the regiment (from Dorsets) on 9th Jan 1916; 22064 attested on 10th Jan 1916 and was posted to the Ox & Bucks a few days later. So whether your great-grandfather enlisted around this time or was an earlier enlistment and transferred to the Ox & Bucks is not known. The one piece of evidence to suggest the latter is that his MGC number, 10224, is relatively low suggesting that he was one of the early transfers into the newly formed MGC companies in early 1916. There are a few Ox & Bucks men with similar MGC numbers, so perhaps they went out and made up numbers for the original Brigade MG Coy?

Stuart

22052 Ox & Bucks transferred into the regiment (from Dorsets) on 9th Jan 1916; 22064 attested on 10th Jan 1916 and was posted to the Ox & Bucks a few days later. So whether your great-grandfather enlisted around this time or was an earlier enlistment and transferred to the Ox & Bucks is not known. The one piece of evidence to suggest the latter is that his MGC number, 10224, is relatively low suggesting that he was one of the early transfers into the newly formed MGC companies in early 1916. There are a few Ox & Bucks men with similar MGC numbers, so perhaps they went out and made up numbers for the original Brigade MG Coy?

Stuart

seems likely

thank you...

From the medal card it looks like a 1916 enlistment or at least no overseas service before then as there is no 1915 Star entitlement. I am sure there will be experts along who will be able to do some more precise dating from the numbers.

Good Luck.

Peridot

thank you