Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inniskilling killed in Easter Rising 1916

drumberny

Although Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as a regiment were not involved in the Easter Rising in Dublin in 1916, some units of 3rd and 12 battalions did take part and at least 6 soldiers were injured.

27861 PRIVATE FRANCIS WILLIAM WHITE KNOX was injured on 27 April 1916 and died from his wounds. He came from Bray, County Wicklow and was buried in Breandrum Cemetery, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh.

Can anyone give me information about how Knox died or why he was buried in Enniskillen? Did he have any Fermanagh connections?

Can't find any links to Fermanagh for Francis W W Knox. He has a small mention in "1916 Rebellion Handbook" and a write up in Tom Burnell's "The Wexford War Dead" based on SDGW and Ireland's WW1 casualty database. Francis (Frank) was 40 at the time of his death.

the 1911 census record for Francis and family :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...Terrace/891512/

His grandfather was Maurice Wilson Knox (1805-1894) of Rosemount near Loughgall, Co Armagh. His grandmother was Elizabeth White of Oldstone, Co Antrim. Bought land at Kilmannock, Co Wexford in 1862. This Knox family appear to have come from around Prehen, Londonderry

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Pre...rry-Derry-P7814

His father Francis William White Knox (b1847) married Annie Hudson of Temple Carrig, Co Wicklow in 1871. Children :

George Henry Hudson Knox b 1874

Francis William White Knox b 1876

Richard Beresford Knox b 1879

Maurice Wilson Knox b 1883

Beresford Hubert Knox b 1885

Isabella Frances Knox b 1872

Well done. Thank you very much for the prompt and helpful reply.

I'll try those family names and see if I can make a connection here in Enniskillen

Regards, Clive.

Thank you again. It is going to take me some time to explore your leads. Knox has some very interesting ancestors.

I'm beginning to think that since Knox 'died of wounds' it might be that he was sent to Enniskillen, the home of his regiment where there was a military hospital. I imagine the hospitals in Dublin at that time would have been inundated with wounded and it probably wasn't the safest place for a soldier.

His name is not included on Enniskillen War Memorial as he did not die in the great war.

Regards, Clive.