Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Sherwoods April 1915 Information

jacks4jules

Please can one of the 6th Notts Derby Sherwood forester experts tell me where and what the battalion where doing in April 1915.

I have copied casualty reports of Whaley Bridge men from the local paper and noted that they had a lot of casualties at this time.

One of the reports says that the trenches were between 33 and 66 feet away from the German trenches.

Would be most great full for any details at all.

Should anyone want any casualty reports for this period regarding soldiers from Whaley I be glad to e mail them to you.

Thanks Julian

Please can one of the 6th Notts Derby Sherwood forester experts tell me where and what the battalion where doing in April 1915.

I have copied casualty reports of Whaley Bridge men from the local paper and noted that they had a lot of casualties at this time.

One of the reports says that the trenches were between 33 and 66 feet away from the German trenches.

Would be most great full for any details at all.

Should anyone want any casualty reports for this period regarding soldiers from Whaley I be glad to e mail them to you.

Thanks Julian

Julian, here is a diluted piece of the 6th Battalion War Diary, if you need more details you can pm me. Bronno.

APRIL 1915

OUTERSTEENE

2nd The Battalion with 5th Battalion marched to billets here from NEUF BERQUIN (DOULLEU COMMUNE).

BAILLEUL

3rd The Battalion with 5th Battalion marched to billets here.

4th Services and Church Parade.

LOCRE

5th The Battalion with 5th Battalion marched to billets

KEMMEL

7th The Battalion took over G and H trenches from 8th Battalion, the two Battalions working in pairs Remained in trenches four days. 5 NCO's and men killed, 8 wounded. 4 being killed and 1 wounded by 1 H.E. shell.

LOCRE

12th a.m. Relieved by 8th Bn. and returned to rest billets.

KEMMEL

15th Returned to trenches for 4 days. 8 NCO's and men killed, 14 wounded (10 at duty).

LOCRE

20th Battalion dug at night 1200 yards of communication trench from G4. Battalion dug further length of communication trench, while doing so it was withdrawn to KEMMEL and kept in reserve until arrival of 7th Battn. when it returned to LOCRE.

KEMMEL

24th Returned to trenches for 4 days. Killed 2 other ranks. 1 Officer Wounded and 13 other ranks.

27th Gallery charged and fired from blowing in German Gallery.

LOCRE

29th a.m. Relieved by 8th Battalion and returned to rest billets. Casualties on working parties and fatigues, Other ranks killed 1, wounded 6.

Thanks Bronno your a good one brilliant fast service too.

I owe you one thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Julian

Julian, here is a diluted piece of the 6th Battalion War Diary, if you need more details you can pm me. Bronno.

APRIL 1915

OUTERSTEENE

2nd The Battalion with 5th Battalion marched to billets here from NEUF BERQUIN (DOULLEU COMMUNE).

BAILLEUL

3rd The Battalion with 5th Battalion marched to billets here.

4th Services and Church Parade.

LOCRE

5th The Battalion with 5th Battalion marched to billets

KEMMEL

7th The Battalion took over G and H trenches from 8th Battalion, the two Battalions working in pairs Remained in trenches four days. 5 NCO's and men killed, 8 wounded. 4 being killed and 1 wounded by 1 H.E. shell.

LOCRE

12th a.m. Relieved by 8th Bn. and returned to rest billets.

KEMMEL

15th Returned to trenches for 4 days. 8 NCO's and men killed, 14 wounded (10 at duty).

LOCRE

20th Battalion dug at night 1200 yards of communication trench from G4. Battalion dug further length of communication trench, while doing so it was withdrawn to KEMMEL and kept in reserve until arrival of 7th Battn. when it returned to LOCRE.

KEMMEL

24th Returned to trenches for 4 days. Killed 2 other ranks. 1 Officer Wounded and 13 other ranks.

27th Gallery charged and fired from blowing in German Gallery.

LOCRE

29th a.m. Relieved by 8th Battalion and returned to rest billets. Casualties on working parties and fatigues, Other ranks killed 1, wounded 6.

Hi Julian,

In case he doesn't see your kind offer, you should send forum member Mike Briggs a PM about the casualty reports - Mike has been researching the 6th N&D for a number of years.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Stuart

yes thats a good idea I shall do that.Mike has helped me several times be nice to return the favour.

Cheers Julian

Hi Julian,

In case he doesn't see your kind offer, you should send forum member Mike Briggs a PM about the casualty reports - Mike has been researching the 6th N&D for a number of years.

Best wishes,

Stuart