Attestation Location:

Attestation date:

Address on Attestation:

Height:

Chest:

Weight:

Physical Development:

Timeline:

Medals: Victory War Medal (Roll: LC 101 B 118 Page: 12035)

British War Medal (Roll: LC 101 B 118 Page: 12035)

Discharged:

He died in 1928 just 46 years old. Can anyone fill in the blanks? Can anyone tell me about him, what he may have experienced. what his role was and his unit and their movements?

Luke,

Affraid I'm unable to help. These doesn't appear to be any additional information on Ancestry, so his Service and Pension Records may have been lost in the Blitz.

Cheers Andy.

It may be possible to surmise that he was wounded at some stage and was not able to regain A1 fitness and was subsequently transferred to the Labour Corps. As to when that was, maybe someone with expertise in Service Numbers might be able to fill in some more for you.

He has a 4 figure Service Number, there might be more records under the 6 figure renumbering system.

As he was from near Rochester, any ideas as to why he was in a Notts and Derby battalion? Any further details inscribed on his medals (if you have them still?)

There might be a Silver Wound Badge record that might assist.

The wound(s) might also account for his early death.

Did he have brothers serving? If so, is this one?

Name: CACKETT, WALTER ALBERT

Initials: W A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/10/1916

Service No: G/24697

Additional information: Son of William Henry Cackett, of Fritten Field, Westwell, Ashford, Kent.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 5 D and 6 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Of the 5 Cackett casualties on CWGC, 4 were in the Q(RWS) Regiment, the other was on HMS Defence and his wife lived in Sheerness.

Sorry, can't be of more help

This is all I know about him;

Herbert Sydney Cackett -

Notts & Derby Regiment 5362

Labour Corps 355851

Birth Place:

ST Mary, High Halstow, Kent

Railway worker / Mill Labourer

Next of Kin:

Attestation Location:

Attestation date:

Address on Attestation:

Height:

Chest:

Weight:

Physical Development:

Timeline:

Medals: Victory War Medal (Roll: LC 101 B 118 Page: 12035)

British War Medal (Roll: LC 101 B 118 Page: 12035)

Discharged:

Je died in 1928 just 46 years old. Can anyone fill in the blanks? Can anyone tell me about him, what he may have experienced. what his role was and his unit and their movements?

According to my records should his name read COCKETT and not CACKETT. I don't think he was wounded with the Notts and Derby Regt as he is not listed on there SWB list. :blink: BRONNO

All I have is his MIC. I cannot locate any other records for him. These are his brothers that were in service, although I did think it strange that he was in the Notts & Derby Regiment myself as he and is family all come from the Kent area of Rochester:

Henry Cackett

Royal Field Artillery 48180

Richard Cackett

4th Divisionl Artillery Column

Royal Field Artillery

Is it this unusual to be posted to a regiment far from home? Of course this may be another Herberty Sydney Cackett but such an unusual name i would have thought highly unlikely?

In 1901, it seems Herbert's the head of a household, living with his 26 year old sister Annie and 19 year old brother (twin? - see below) Charles F:-

Name: Herbert S Cackett

Estimated birth year: abt 1882

Relation: Head

Where born: St Mary, Kent, England

Civil parish: High Halstow

Ecclesiastical parish: St Margaret

Town: High Halstow

County/Island: Kent

However, I'm coming up with all sorts of spellings, including Cockett and Becket for Henry and Richard, so will have to do some more digging.

I agrree with that verrico,

thats what i had for the 1901 census. thanks for your help...let me know if you come up trumps with anything else.

Hi Luke - just been perusing the records of this man (a brother to Walter Albert?):-

Name: William Henry Cackett

Estimated birth year: abt 1900

Age at Enlistment: 18

Residence: Frittenfield Cottage, Westwell Nr Ashford

Document Year: 1918

Regimental Number: 38261

Regiment Name: Bedford Regiment

Possibly related - not a million miles away (I grew up in Kent and didn't know about the Hoo Peninsula!) and you'll see that he wasn't assigned to a Kent battalion either. I get the impression that at the outbreak of war, men were generally posted to a local regiment but it seems to have fallen by the wayside as the war dragged on - possibly they were sent where they were needed? I know that in August 1916 my great-uncle (my avatar) enlisted with the North Staffordshires - as far as I know, he'd never been north of Camberwell! Likewise, his nephew was in the Norfolks for no obvious reason that we know of. Given that my great-uncle gave his age as 22 in the 1901 census, he would have been getting on a bit in terms of military service, and yet it was only due to the fact he was discharged with an SWB after his initial posting in Ireland in the wake of the Easter Uprising that saved him from joining the rest of the regiment when they sailed for France.

So I'm not sure too much can be read into him being in the Notts & Derby and I think you do have your man: nothing else compares. Given that Herbert wasn't apparently entitled to a 14 or 15 Star, it would seem he didn't go abroad until January 1916 at the earliest. Interesting as I thought he might have been a pre-war regular but nothing obvious.

Louise

Possibly related????

No Henry William that i know of yet. Only Henry Cackett (his brother) born 1877 who i have the following for:

Henry Cackett - Royal Field Artillery 48180

[/size]

Birth Place: High Halstoe 1877

Next of Kin:

Attestation Location:

Attestation date:

Address on Attestation:

Height:

Chest:

Weight:

Physical Development:

FRANCE

Timeline:

Medals: Victory War Medal (Roll: RFA/179 B Page: 15650)

British War Medal (Roll: RFA/179 B Page: 15650)

1915 Star (Roll: RFA/3/A&B Page: 3878)

Discharged:

Only have his MIC so not 100%

Odd - have you tried the 1901 census for Henry? All I can get is this:-

Name: Henry W Cackett

Estimated birth year: abt 1877

Relation: Son

Spouse's name: Susan E

Father's Name: Henry W

Mother's Name: Francis [sic]

Where born: Gravesend, Kent, England

Civil parish: Milton

Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch

County/Island: Kent

Living with his parents (father Henry W) and wife and son (Henry W)!

The only other boy is a William aged 12. Probably not the family you're looking for and it's annoying when they don't appear on census returns!

Have looked at the 1911 census and got another brother for you - Jesse aged 39 (b.1872) and is now head of the household. Jesse was born in Rochester, his wife's from Snodland (always loved the sound of that - remember it was terribly foggy there when we drove down the M2 each week), their first two daughters were born at Malling and their youngest daughter and son were born at Cuxton. They're all living at Coronation Villas, Cuxton, Rochester (sub-district Strood).

Yes the Jesse Cackett is his brother and my partners direct descendant. He was a cement labourer.

I cant find Henry on the 1891 or 1901 c!

I think that his Notts & Derby number 5362 ties him into being a Derby Scheme man (called up around end March 1916). Many of these Derby men seemed to have been snet onto different battalions when overseas. Altnratively he could have been transfered after wounding

Mike

Mike, What is a derby scheme man?

It looks as though he was posted straight to the notts and derby regiment on enlistment. He was from kent?

Thanks Verico

From that it looks as though he could have been a "derby" man, he would have been group 18 in my reckoning as a single lowly qualified job and being 35 years old in 1916. Were these called up at thel last? If so that could be why he was posted to the far off notts & derby reg! What do you think Verrico? Do you agree?

From LLT, Luke:-

http://www.1914-1918.net/derbyscheme.html

I've never looked at it in detail either, as I know my great-uncle volunteered, although other family members may have fallen under it.

• 1 month later...

I have several Kent men in my collection who served with 16th Bn (Chatsworth Rifles) N & D Regt. As the war progressed the geographic spread of recruits went beyond the traditional county boundaries. Hope this helps.

Mark

His MIC.

I have several Kent men in my collection who served with 16th Bn (Chatsworth Rifles) N & D Regt. As the war progressed the geographic spread of recruits went beyond the traditional county boundaries. Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks for the reassurance Mark,

Can anyone tell me more about him?

It would be nice to know what he experienced and why he was transferred to the Labour Corps. Why would this happen? Due to injury or that his skills would be better used in the Labour Corps?