Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 19151 Cecil Victor Masters

david west

Is there any way i can find out which Battalion of the Devonshire Regt, Pte 19151 Cecil Victor Masters served with before his transfer to the Machine Gun Corps. He entered the war (according to his MIC) on 21st Dec 1915. At the time of his death on 25th March 1918, he was serving with 8th Btn MGC. His MGC number was 140541, i believe he was transferred to the MGC shortly before his death.

His story is quite interesting because his mother died very young, he was born C.V Tucker but he was adopted by my Great Grandparents (the masters family from Kingston/Bigbury area of Devon) back in the early 1900`s. On the War memorial at Bigbury, Devon its states that he served with the 2nd Devons at the time of his death, in an other mail from a guy "in the know" stated he served with the 8th Devons....However in C.T Atkinsons book his name is not mentioned.

Any clues to be found anywhere in the history books, records etc ?.

Kindest regards to all,

David

David

You should get his Devonshire Battalion from the original Medal Roll,even though it was issued by the MGC it will still show the first unit he served on arrival in France.

You have two chances,the 1914-15 Star Roll showing his entitlement is in WO329/2830 page 1364,and the British War and Victory Medals will be listed for him in WO329/1756 page 6924.

These will have to be looked up in situ at Kew.

Sotonmate

Thanks for your help mate....

Dave

Dave

I will see what I can find in a couple of weeks time.

Sotonmate

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

9th Battalion. If you want a copy of the original Medal Roll send e-mail by PM.

Sotonmate