Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Ranger

MartinThwaite

Assistance please. I am trying to trace my grandmother's brother William Tracey born and resided in Mossley Lancashire - he was born about 1880. All I know is that he served in the Connaught Rangers. The Tracey side of the family came from Co Mayo.

Much obliged for any help from members,

Regards,

Martin

Martin

There is one entry for a William TRACEY on the Medal Index Cards so this must be him:

5932 Connaught RANGERS. Private. No Battalion shown. Entitled to British War and Victory Medals. Also discharged due to wounds or sickness as he was given a Silver War Badge.

You can find which Battalion he served on arrival in his first war theatre from the original Medal Rolls which are filed in ledger WO329/1691 page 972,and the Silver War Badge List is in Ledger WO329/3008 page 835. Either listing should give you the Battalion,and the SWB list will probably have dates of enlistment and discharge. These docs need to be viewed in situ at Kew Archives.

Sotonmate

Martin

There is one entry for a William TRACEY on the Medal Index Cards so this must be him:

5932 Connaught RANGERS. Private. No Battalion shown. Entitled to British War and Victory Medals. Also discharged due to wounds or sickness as he was given a Silver War Badge.

You can find which Battalion he served on arrival in his first war theatre from the original Medal Rolls which are filed in ledger WO329/1691 page 972,and the Silver War Badge List is in Ledger WO329/3008 page 835. Either listing should give you the Battalion,and the SWB list will probably have dates of enlistment and discharge. These docs need to be viewed in situ at Kew Archives.

Sotonmate

I am much obliged - is it not possible to view on line? I wonder does his Regimental No indicate he was a Regular/Reservist??

Cheers,

Martin

Hi,

If he was a regular the number 5932 would have him enlisting June/July 1897

Regards Mark

Hi,

If he was a regular the number 5932 would have him enlisting June/July 1897

Regards Mark

Hmmm, plot thickening. Probably went to South Africa then as a young soldier, not sure if the Connaughts were deployed though. If he was a recalled Reservist would he retain his original Regtl number or were these numbers recycled after war broke out??

Regards,

Martin

Hmmm, plot thickening. Probably went to South Africa then as a young soldier, not sure if the Connaughts were deployed though. If he was a recalled Reservist would he retain his original Regtl number or were these numbers recycled after war broke out??

Regards,

Martin

Hi,

The 1st Battalion was in South Africa. If he was a Reservist he most likely would retain his number if he was a Pensioner who rejoined he would have a new number.

Regards Mark

Hi,

The 1st Battalion was in South Africa. If he was a Reservist he most likely would retain his number if he was a Pensioner who rejoined he would have a new number.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

Much obliged, I think given his age, about 34 in 1914, he was probably a Reservist who didnt go overseas until 1916+.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi

That would make him 17 or 18 around 1897 which would the usual age for enlisting and correlate with his regimental number

Mark

Hi

After recruit training he would have been sent to the Home Battalion which in 1897 was the 1st Battalion based in Yorkshire at Bradford and Sheffield. He may later have been sent as part of a draft overseas to the 2nd Battalion. The 1st Battalion moved to Athlone, Ireland to be based there in July 1897.

Regards Mark

Hi

After recruit training he would have been sent to the Home Battalion which in 1897 was the 1st Battalion based in Yorkshire at Bradford and Sheffield. He may later have been sent as part of a draft overseas to the 2nd Battalion. The 1st Battalion moved to Athlone, Ireland to be based there in July 1897.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for this info. Coming from Mossley Lancs/Yorks and being of Irish parentage an Irish Bn based relatively close by in Yorkshire, which no doubt recruited amongst Irish immigrants in my family area, would have been a logical choice for a young lad joining up!I wonder if he went to South Africa?

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have found some service records for Connaught Rangers with regimental numbers very close to 5932 and it would have him enlisting in

January 1897 rather than June/July. These men who enlisted in Jan 1897 seem to have been transferred from the Depot at Galway to the 1st Battalion 27 Feb 1897. Regimental number 5930 enlisted 28 Jan 1897.

Regards Mark

Hi Martin,

I have found some service records for Connaught Rangers with regimental numbers very close to 5932 and it would have him enlisting in

January 1897 rather than June/July. These men who enlisted in Jan 1897 seem to have been transferred from the Depot at Galway to the 1st Battalion 8 June 1897.

Regards Mark

Many thanks Mark,

Actually I've just looked on the 1901 census and Willie is at home! I cannot make out the occupation though due to scribbling on the original. Do think it possible that he did 3 years with the colours then onto the Reserve?

Regards,

Martin

Many thanks Mark,

Actually I've just looked on the 1901 census and Willie is at home! I cannot make out the occupation though due to scribbling on the original. Do think it possible that he did 3 years with the colours then onto the Reserve?

Regards,

Martin

I found alot of men discharged within 3 years for various reasons many had bought themselves out within a year.

Regards Mark

I found alot of men discharged within 3 years for various reasons many had bought themselves out within a year.

Regards Mark

Cheers Mark,

When I finally manage to get on the Medal Rolls I may be able to close this! They are on strike at the moment!!!

Regards,

Martin

To throw a spanner right in the works folks, My Gt Uncle Thomas McGuire (see my signature below) was a volunteer at the outbreak of War, service # 5757, so the 1897 date and earlier service could be a complete red herring.

Sam

To throw a spanner right in the works folks, My Gt Uncle Thomas McGuire (see my signature below) was a volunteer at the outbreak of War, service # 5757, so the 1897 date and earlier service could be a complete red herring.

Sam

Oh Cheers for that Sam!!! Just have to wait for the Rolls!!

Regards,

Martin

Sam

Yes the 5th Service Battalion had a different numbering sequence from the 2 Regular Battalions, also the Special Reserve Battalions also had their own numbering sequence.

Mark