Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Btn Royal West Kent

Longboat

look ups offered for the 11th (Lewisham) Royal West Kents.

Stuart

Had a Great Uncle Pte William Henry James Humphries G9996 served with the 11th Bn, took part in the attack on Flers on September 16 and was wounded, (later died and has no known grave) in the attack on Gird Lines on 7 October 1916, don't suppose there is anything about hime at all?

Thanks

Alan

Had a Great Uncle Pte William Henry James Humphries G9996 served with the 11th Bn, took part in the attack on Flers on September 16 and was wounded, (later died and has no known grave) in the attack on Gird Lines on 7 October 1916, don't suppose there is anything about hime at all?

Thanks

Alan

Had a Great Uncle Pte William Henry James Humphries G9996 ...

Alan - you do realise part of his service papers are available on Ancestry?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Jonathan

Yes thanks , got those, not that revealing tho, even went along to local Archive, trying for pic or at least a pictire of the Battailion praps being presented to the Mayor of Lewisham before embarkation, but nothing really ,

Alan

You should but a copy of the Bttn history - its nicely written. Very "family" orientated - not everyone gets a mention buts its as if they tried to mention everyone, if that makes sense. I saw one in Turner Donovan's latest catalogue for around £100 - which is probably about right. You could get one cheaper but you might have to wait (he says without looking on Abebooks).

Alan,

No mention of Pte W.H.J Humphries I'm afraid but there is a report from Lieut-Col Corfe concerning the battalions attack on the 7/10/1916 and it's failings which make interesting reading. Can send you a copy if interested.

I have my grandfather's copy of the battalion's history, I'll have a look through later and see if there is anything in there.

Stuart

Alan

Sorry, nothing in the battalion history of your Great Uncle.

This maybe of interest to you though. The history notes that by the beginning of August 1915 'A' and 'B' companies were full and recruitment was aimed at filling 'C' company. From my notes I have, your Great Uncle enlisted in late August so probably a 'C' company man initially. Unless I've got that wrong?

There are some group photo's in the book but I'm afraid he's not in these either. I've taken digital copies of these so if your interested let me know.

Stuart

Alan,

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send them on

Stuart.