Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Bn Durham Light Infantry, Oct 1918

charley_bourne

My gt uncle Joe, a rifle bomber in the 15th DLI, was repatriated on 17/10/1918 with a neck wound. He spent three months at Millbank Hospital before being discharged.

Presumably he'd have been in action with the DLI in their attack on the Beaurevoir Line on 8th October 1918.

According to this site

http://www.coxhoehistory.org/BrothersInArms.html

the Durhams "enjoyed 9 days rest" after their involvement. If my sums are correct, Joe must have been injured during this 9 day period, which would mean he copped it on or about the 14th of October.

Is there any way of telling where the 15th were at this time? I have searched the NA for their war diary - there only seems to be the one from WW2 (unless i'm doing something daft :rolleyes: ).

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Hello,

I have war dairy for 15th DLI, 64th brigade and 21st division.

They did go in to reserve and spent some time in training until around the 19th October 1918. On the 10th they went in to rest billets around Walencourt. on 11th cleaned up and rested. 12th battalion reorganised, 13th training and church service, then 14th to 16th (inc) training. 17th brigade scheme, 18th training again.

Not sure what training would have involved but is it not likely he gained the wound in the earlier attacks and then was repatriated at the later date?

If you want any other information send me your e-mail via a PM and I will see what i can find.

I am sure I have e-mailed you before, or was i supposed to and forgot?!

Regards

Arm

Good Lord - that was quick!

Armourersergeant - I've just checked and I've not had any emails from you, though you have been kind enough to reply to my previous questions. I've just PM'd you. Sincere thanks!

Must be your name, reminds me of dark nights reading batttle comic!

Regards

Arm

PS PM on its way.