Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Ainsley - Machine Gun Corps

chrisainsley

here is my greta grandads medal card

just need some help with the MGC 101 B6... what does that mean?

also he seems to have 2 regimental numbers and 3 entries of corps.. 2 MGC and one Bucks lt inf

if someone with more knowledge than me could take a moment to tell me what knowledge they glean form this card then thats my start point

thank you so much

:poppy:

post-21327-1268757527.jpg

Is it just a coincidence that he was in the Machine Gun Corps and the medal roll is prefixed with MGC?

Just checked half a dozen MIC for Machine Gun Corps men and they are all noted MGC 101 B or A plus a number followed by the respective page 5609/5964/5294 etc. Ralph.

You want the following roll at Kew:

WO 329/1736 Machine Gun Corps other ranks; Medal Rolls MGC/101B6; MGC/101B7; MGC/101B8; MGC/101B9; Pages 605-906. British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Is it just a coincidence that he was in the Machine Gun Corps and the medal roll is prefixed with MGC?

Some of the prefixes to the medal rolls are related to the unit they are for. It seems this is most often the case with the corps: Royal Engineers other ranks medal rolls = RE; Labour Corps = LC etc.

It means that he was eligable for the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

The MGC/101 B6 indicated the Medal roll (a really big book with the medal details in) and the 608 is the page number

Have a look at this, from the LLT (link top left on main header) - http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

Grant

The medal roll may give you details of the battalion he served with in the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and his company/ battalion with the MGC.