Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Service Number - Aprrox enlistment place/date sought

PabloC

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if it’s possible to work out the approximate date/place that a soldier enlisted into the Royal Garrison Artillery please?

The regimental no. in question is 153717 and belonged to Gunner Sydney Cooper.

Regards

Paul

The number would indicate someone turning up at No 1 Depot, Rugeley, a few days either side of 3 April 1917...unless he was a transfer, which in this case I think unlikely.

Kevin

Many thanks for that Kevin.

However, this soldier was from the Sussex area. Would this not be a bit far for him to travel, or is it the case that he would he have enlisted locally, and then been sent wherever he was needed?

Regards

Paul

Were there different series for different places of enlistment and/or different numbers for SR men. My g/father was originally 3394 (SR) and became 278394 in

1917 when the numbering was apparently changed.

David

He may have attested late 1915 early 1916, or he may have been conscripted and attested locally, and for his medical, and was then sent on. Although he may have given a preference earlier for the regiment he would like to join, he would not have had any choice in where he was sent.

He didn't have to pay to get there.

Kevin

Quote, "Were there different series for different places of enlistment and/or different numbers for SR men. My g/father was originally 3394 (SR) and became 278394 in

1917 when the numbering was apparently changed."

There was the regular, Special reserve and TF series. The regular series just carried on from that started in 1899. The Special Reserve series started at the outbreak of war. No. 1 being Ernest Crowhurst. Just to confuse it a little there was the Irish Special Reserve, but these numbers are usually easily identified. Out of all the renumbering done at the start of 1917, the RGA Special Resrve is the only one I have come across that just simply added 275000 to the original number, rather that starting a new nominal roll and missing out those that had already left, DOWs or were KIA. Must say that was a brilliant bit of thinking. The Special Reserve was for those gunners/soldiers who had already had military service, although this later changed.

Kevin

Kevin

Ha! Out of the muddy waters arises a picture that is a lot clearer. I knew the 275 thousand bit but not the others. Thanks

David

David,

I should, of course, have added the newly formed locally raised new batteries. These were renumbered with their own specific series and has already been well covered on the forum by Roop (Kondoa).

Kevin