Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found at Last!

Fromelles

I have just been given some great news, Allan Irving has just been identified as being one of the missing at Pheasant Wood

post-3866-1268739796.jpg
1528 Pte AWJ Irving - 'A' Company, 32nd Battalion

Dan

Wonderful result.

Seems as though most of the boys ID'd so far are from the 8th Brigade and 32nd Bn.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Wonderful result.

Seems as though most of the boys ID'd so far are from the 8th Brigade and 32nd Bn.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

:DG'day Sandra,

I'd think it will probably remain that way as most of the missing that were buried were from the 32nd Battn and Pheasant Wood is nearest the 8th Brigade's area of operation on the left flank.

I'm really pleased with this result

Regards,

Dan

This is great news finally closure and a proper place to rest in peace ,god bless

MC

:D G'day Sandra,

I'd think it will probably remain that way as most of the missing that were buried were from the 32nd Battn and Pheasant Wood is nearest the 8th Brigade's area of operation on the left flank.

I'm really pleased with this result

Regards,

Dan

This is very interesting as I've looked at the provisional Australian Missing list on the CWGC website and only about 45 soldiers are listed as belonging to the 32nd Battalion of whom only three had no relative contact reported so quite a few other battalions from the 8th Brigade must be represented as well - I guess I just need to learn a bit more patience and wait for the full announcement.

Best,

Howard

post script:- Tim has clarified the question of the Battalions of the identified soldiers on another thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...43698&st=25

This is very interesting as I've looked at the provisional Australian Missing list on the CWGC website and only about 45 soldiers are listed as belonging to the 32nd Battalion of whom only three had no relative contact reported so quite a few other battalions from the 8th Brigade must be represented as well - I guess I just need to learn a bit more patience and wait for the full announcement.

Best,

Howard

G'day Howard,

After rereading my post I can see I wasn't very clear. What was meant was that the 32nd Battalion had the greater number (46) buried by the Germans than any of the other battalions involved in the battle, so statistically the greater number identified 'should' come from the 32nd and the other units of the 8th Brigade.

A break down of the Australian casualties known to be buried by the Germans and their Units and Brigade involved show:-

8th Brigade:-

32nd Bn- 46

30th Bn - 26

31st Bn - 22

29th Bn - 20

8th MGC - 1

14th Brigade:-

54th Bn - 32

55th Bn - 14

53rd Bn - 14

14th MGC - 3

56th Bn - 1

15th Brigade:-

60th Bn- 8

59th Bn - 2

Divisional troops:-

5th Div Engrs (8th Fld Coy) - 1

5th Pnr Bn - 1

As can be seen the 8th Bde has by far the lions share of the numbers buried by the Germans and the 32nd Bn the greater number from that Brigade.

Cheers,

Dan