Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1528 Pte AWJ Irving

Fromelles

Hello all,

I've had some terrific news!

The Australian Fromelles Project Group (established within the Army) gave me a call today informing me that Allan's remains have been identified.

post-3866-1268718531.jpg

Allan was reported Missing soon after the battle, then in February 1917 he was reported PoW (unofficially), it looks as if his name first appeared on what is stated to be a 'PoW German List' dated 4 Nov 16 that was received by the 'Wounded & Missing Enquiry Bureau' (Aust Branch of the Brit Red Cross Society). This was then amended in May 1917 to KIA (20 Jul 16) after it was established the list (4 Nov 16) was in fact a 'German (British Red Cross) Death List'.

Allan, 20 years of age, was in his eighth year as an apprentice book binder at the Government Printing Office in Adelaide with only 1 year remaining he joined the AIF on the 15 July 1915 and was soon allocated to the 1st Reinforcements of the 32nd Battalion. Accompanying the original battalion he embarked for Egypt on the 18 November 1915. In March he was posted to "A" Company and it was with them he found himself at Fromelles. Unfortunately the records have no witness statements as to what became of him but it is certain he made it to the enemy lines where he was finally killed and collected by the Germans. The records state his identity disc was collected and sent back the family (via England).

As a family we have been given the opportunity to have his headstone inscribed, but I'm thinking since nobody is alive today who ever personally knew him it may seem somewhat presumptuous to put an inscription upon his headstone. What are your thoughts?

Dan

Wonderful news for you and your family Dan. I didn't lose any family in the Great War fortunately, but I do know if I were in your situation I would want an inscription on the headstone: after all, he died for King and Country and although it's belated it's great that you have the opportunity for that to be recognised now. I don't think it's presumptuous at all: it's something his immediate family never got the chance to do. I would have thought something plain and simple (always powerful) would do the trick: perhaps a mention of "peace" might be appropriate - hopefully he is fully at peace now.

Louise :poppy:

I agree with Louise, it would be very fitting to have an inscription.

The inscription on the headstone of Jack White (found in 1995) in Queant Road never fails to move me to tears.

"Deep peace of the quiet earth, far from the land which gave you birth"

Dan,

I am delighted to hear news of the positive ID.

Personally, I don't think it is in any way presumptious for you and your family to select a suitable inscription for the gravestone - this duty has passed down through the generations to you and the privilege of completing this task should be reagrded as a proud inheritance. Those that missed out on doing it in the past will be on your shoulder urging you on. Good luck.

I very much look forward to visiting Fromelles and the cemetery in the not too distant future and a flower will be reserved for Allan's grave.

Regards Ian

As a family we have been given the opportunity to have his headstone inscribed, but I'm thinking since nobody is alive today who ever personally knew him it may seem somewhat presumptuous to put an inscription upon his headstone. What are your thoughts?

Dan

If I may suggest, how about just putting:

"Not Forgotten"

Because it's straight and to the point.

Dan,

Have the inscription completed. Wonderful news. Many people visit the CWGC cemetries and it is always poignant when one sees a headstone of a soldier who has finally been laid to rest. there is one particular headstone in Polygon Wood Australian cemetry that I always contemplate, that of a Pte. J Hunter 49th Btn. Australian Inf. I quote, "Beloved son of Harry and Emily Hunter. Nanango.QLD. at rest after being lost for ninety years." Whenever I have visited such peaceful places there are usually some Australia,Kiwi, or Canadian visitors. There are many similar headstones and I am sure there will still be more in the future. Oh and I'm a Brit.

Tony P

Given that there are going to be upwards of 75 identified graves in the new Fromelles cemetery, I think families should be encouraged within reason to express themselves fully in their inscriptions. This will make for an interesting visit for future pilgrims to what will inevitably become a special cemetery.

The families chose their inscriptions 90 years ago and are the best people to formulate these new ones almost a century on.