Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Battle of The Somme"

Guest Tazman

Guest Tazman

Apologies if this has been asked already - a topical seach didn't find any help...

I'm trying to find a way to see "The Battle of The Somme", the documentary-like 1916 film produced to "raise morale" back home.

I see the IWM has it, but being in the U.S. makes this option impossible. I don't see it anywhere - at least in the US VHS or DVD format I'd need.

Thanks in advance for any and all help - you folks really are the best!

Mike

Mike I have it & paid to have it converted & can mail it. I have Dying In Verdun which did not convert well & Forgotten Men too, it's good. Somme also includes Ancre.

Evening,Paul and Mike.

I have seen excerpts of this film,but didn't realise it was available on either DVD or Video.

I seem to remember reading somewhere,that this silent film was very graphic,and shocking,with pictures of men killed in action.

For some,too graphic,showing people,in the street,what war was really like.

I,as a kid,only ever remember pictures of burning German Tanks and aircraft.

It is only recently,that i have seen the real story.

I would love a copy.

Any ideas where i can find a copy on the web?

All the best.

Simon.

I think the IWM sells it on U.S NTSC format VHS tape - I have not seen it on DVD but it may well be available now. Obviously multi-region is much easier on DVD and I would recommend all US Pals to investigate if their DVD player can be set to play zone 2 discs. Most of the cheap and cheerful Walmart $40 Chinese made DVD players will do multi-region very easily and a search on the internet will usually throw up instructions on how to do it via the remote control.

I am often in the vicinity of the IWM and if any US based Pals want something bought there, I could probably do this for them.

By the way I saw "TBoS" on the big screen with a superb piano accompaniment. A really great experience and a good facsimile of how it must have been presented to contemporary audiences.

Hi Simon

The last time I looked Ray Westlake had copies of the Somme video, I think Chris as a link to Ray's website. Also DD Video have several Great War videos & DVD out including The Somme & Ancre (video only) but I can't find a website for them.

Annette

Mike,

If you go to the Wilfred Owen Multimedia Website and browse through the dropdown box on this page I think you will find that you can view/download a large number of clips from this (and other) contemporary films. I did the same, pasted them together with an MPEG editing programme and then used the resulting film for a private project I was working on.

Tim.

I have mailed this to Mike. If other pals want it he can mail to them & so on til back to me. DD Video did kindly give permission to alter this but asked no copies be made & I ask any viewer to honor that.

Guest Tazman
I have mailed this to Mike. If other pals want it he can mail to them & so on til back to me. DD Video did kindly give permission to alter this but asked no copies be made & I ask any viewer to honor that.

Paul - a million thanks, the tapes arrived yesterday. Fantastic viewing, to say the least.

Any other Pals interested, please email me directly and I will forward them in a couple days.

Mike,

If you go to the Wilfred Owen Multimedia Website and browse through the dropdown box on this page I think you will find that you can view/download a large number of clips from this (and other) contemporary films. I did the same, pasted them together with an MPEG editing programme and then used the resulting film for a private project I was working on.

Tim.

Mike,

Thank you for linking that in. The film clips were awesome! I couldn't help but think which of the men never lived to see the end of the war, very haunting images.

Cheers,

Jon