Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt F Gannon

nthornton1979

Hi all,

Here is Sgt Gannon's DCM citation

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty, he led the first bombing attack through a heavy bomb and rifle grenade barrage and through his dash succeeded in driving the enemy back 105 yards. Though the whole of his party had become casualties he still remained and held up a strong party of the enemy until reinforced. He then gave a very accurate covering fire with rifle grenades, and enabled these troops to drive back the enemy another 100 yards. He was always to be found where the fighting was hottest and his bold and skilful use of rifle grenades many times relieved a critical situation."

He lived and enlisted in Liverpool and was killed in action on 16th March 1918. I have the Regiment History which gives a great account of why the DCM was awarded. I also have the usual MIC,CWGC details.

Does anyone have any further info on this soldier ?

I have the war diary but it only goes up to the end of 1917 so I am looking for the 16th March 1918 if anyone has it ?

(I know the 1/KLR raided the Germans on this day and he was the only man KIA that day)

Thanks

Neil

Neil

The War Diary for 1KLR from Jan 1918 is WO95/1360. It doesn't seem to be in digital download format.

No service record apparent on Ancestry UK.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that. I paid to get the complete diary on disc but when it arrived it only went up to the end of 1917. I was beggining to wonder if the 1918/19 diary still exists !

I'm still at a loss as to how Sgt Gannon was killed. I have his DCM and am in touch with his (Sgt Gannon's) family who are very keen to know what happended to him on the 16th March 1918.

Neil

Neil,

1KLR War Diary for 16th March:

"Front Line. Enemey T.M.s very active. Usual trench warfare. We carried out a raid on enemy post. The party consisted of 1 Officer (2/Lt. H.G. Thorpe) and 9 O.R.s. A German cap was found in this post but no enemy were seen. Apparently, owing to our accurate T.M. bombardment of this post the enemy withdrew leaving the post empty."

There is no mention of any casualties that day but there was 1 other rank killed on 13th and 2 other ranks on the 15th.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for that. Ancestry and CWGC has the date of 16th but this could well be an error. I haven't got SDGW to cross reference but I'd guess it will say the same. I suppose it is possible that he was killed by the Mortar fire on the 16th and whoever wrote the diary didn't mention his death (?)

Neil

Cheers Ken,

I'm not sure what to make of this now. More digging !

Neil

This shows that no single source should be taken as gospel.

Looking at 12th-20th March, the war diary only gives 1 KIA on 13th and 2 on the 15th.

SDITGW gives 1 each on 13th, 14th, 15th & 16th

CWGC gives 2 on 13th, 1 on 15th & 1 on 16th.

Work that one out!

Ken

:blink::wacko:

I think my next port of call will have to be his local newspaper archives. Maybe I'll find an article stating a date of death.

Thanks again Ken.

Neil