Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1439: Pte W Merton Northumberland Fusiliers

nthornton1979

Does any member have any information on this chap ?

1439: Pte W Merton. 5th N.Fus

MM - 1st September 1916

Bar - 2nd November 1917

I have been informed he was from Hordon Village, Northumberland and according to the War Diary: "MM PRESENTED BY LT GEN SIR W P PULTENEY ON 28-8-1916".

I thought maybe (as he is a double gallantry recipient) maybe a member has already looked him up in local archives ?

Neil

Hi Neil,

The dates you give are the LG dates - have you looked them up? Unfortunately can't see a page reference.

He also had a separate number with the N.Fus:-

Name: William Merton

Regiment or Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers, Northumberland Fusiliers

Regimental Number: 5/1439, 89074

Have you tried looking for records under both numbers?

Landed in France 20.4.15.

Hope that helps!

Louise

5/1438 Pte William Merton was a resident of Durham City, who was recorded as being wounded in January 1917. Renumbered 89074 he is known to be still serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers as late as the 5th May 1920.

Thankyou Louise and Graham.

Graham, I knew about the number change and that he served as a Sgt under his second number. I had no idea he was wounded ! here is the reference confirmin this (As I would like toobtain a copy for my notes if possible) ?

I didn't know he was still serving in 1920 so many thanks for that aswell.

Neil

Thankyou Louise and Graham.

Graham, I knew about the number change and that he served as a Sgt under his second number. I had no idea he was wounded ! here is the reference confirmin this (As I would like toobtain a copy for my notes if possible) ?

I didn't know he was still serving in 1920 so many thanks for that aswell.

Neil

The reference to his wounding comes from the January 1917 edition of St.Georges Gazette(the regimental journal), but beware these can be a few months out of date before their appearance. This is also where his place of residence would also come from. Sadly these are not on-line and only available at the RNF Museum or Newcastle Central Library.

The still serving date comes from his Medal Roll Sheet - i.e. it says "still serving" and then you look at the date the sheet was typed up.

Thanks Graham, that's a big help.

I'll try contacting them by phone and see if they can provide a copy.

Neil