Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade - Andrew Macdonald

tjphillips

Hello all

My Great Uncle Andrew Macdonald was in the Rifle Brigade in Winchester Barracks in the 1911 Census, aged 19. I also have a photo of him wearing armbands - possibly as a Signaller. There is an MIC for Pte Andrew McDonald (later corrected to Macdonald) number 4032 in 2nd Bn Rifle Brigade qualifying 7/11/1914 but I can't be sure whether or not this is him. My Gt Uncle was born in Brighton which should have made him easy to spot amongst the many A Macdonalds, but unfortunately I have not been able to find any other documents about him.

Do any of you know if (and how) I might be able to confirm the MIC is his? Also, assuming he started out in 1914, even if this particular MIC is not his, does anyone know if I might be able to find out about any injuries or promotions he may have gained? It looks as if he may have survived the war as there is a marriage record for Andrew Macdonald in Brighton in 1919 so I was hoping he may have some identifiable history, even if I can't find his service or pension records on Ancestry.

I do hope you can help.

Best wishes

Tania

Thank you Robert. Unfortunately the lists don't include Sussex so I still need to find another way.

Best wishes

Tania