Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries

Ron Clifton

Cheers Ron; I'll give that a try though my next Kew trip is probably some way off :(

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Just bringing this thread back to the top to help someone with another query today.

Ron

Ron;

That was most helpful to all, but especially for new members of the forum and some like me who have been members for almost a year and are still finding our way around.

thanks

momsirish

Ron..

Many thanks for that. I am certain this will become useful in my searches planned for Kew next year. As a matter of interest, I note that some of the war diaries are available electronically, but seemingly not all. Is there an ongoing process of scanning these documents with a view to them all becoming available online eventually?

Also and further to that; I downloaded the files for the 14th Division, 41 Infantry Brigade (WO 95/1895) as it includes documents for the 8th Rifle Brigade. Had I read a bit closer while looking at the commentary I'd have noticed that it only includes the 8 RB War Diary up to July 1918. Is this a common feature - I presume there are sections missing, or is it that they just got missed in the scanning? If I go to Kew, am I going to find that the 8th RB war diary July 1918 to post-November 1918 is just not there?

Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Regards,

Neil

Neil,

The 8th Rifle Brigade were disbanded on 3rd August 1918 so you probably have the complete war diary -

The Long.Long Trail.

8th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Winchester on 21 August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 41st Brigade in 14th (Light) Division. Moved to Aldershot, going on to Grayshott in November and returned to Aldershot in March 1915.

May 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

27 April 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.

16 June 1918 : left the Division. Cadre disbanded at Desvres on 3 August 1918.

http://www.1914-1918.net/rb.htm

John

John,

Many thanks for that information. Once again, I went an assumption too far rather than checking to establish the facts. I appreciate you putting me back on the right path!

Regards, Neil

Hello Neil

John has answered your specific question on 8/RB. It is not uncommon to find sections of a diary missing, but the index will usually forewarn you of this. Of it is in the index, it ought to be in the box!

I think that they stareted the online diaries with the infantry battalions, and that the eventual intention is to put them all online, but that will take some time and is dependent on their having the resources to do it, and in particular, the funding.

Ron

Ron,

Many thanks for your information on the NA and war diaries.

Reagrds,

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and this kind of research. This index was increadibly useful (not to mention this site as a whole) but until (or if) the national archive goes completely digital not living in the UK makes all of this information unaccessible. Is there anyway to obtain these WO 95 besides physically viewing them or are their researchers that I could hire to do this?

The amount of data that's been preserved for 90 years is increadible regardless of how over whelmed I feel right now.

- Jon-Michael

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am a new member, I am searching diaries of the 5th Battalion of the Duke of Wellington Regiment (62nd West Riding Division) during the Great War 1914-1918 especially " the battle of Sambre 1918 november 4th" concerning Gommegnies 's liberation, Gommegnies is a little village near Le Quesnoy (my family was born in this village), during the battle, the father of my grand-father who was a civilian man of 61 years old, was wounded and evacuated with other wounded english soldiers in the Abbeville's hospital the november 14, where he died the december 11 and he was burried in the Abbeville's cemetary.

What I try to know is if these diaries are related the existence of other wounded civilian people.

Excuse me my english is terrible

Thanks for your kindness

bruyere.bernard@wanadoo.fr

• 2 years later...

Im looking for any information that may be available for 15Bde RFA for 1917, my grandfather was a member of A battery during this time, are there any war Diaries available, I am in Western Australia so I may need to pay someone to look at these if the National Archives is the only place to view them.

Thanks for any assistance.

Gary

Thanks Graeme that was a very helpful link now for some interesting reading at last I can get an idea where grandfather was serving in France.

Lest we Forget.

• 4 years later...

good afternoon has anyone the diaries for 178th tunnelling WO 95/405/2 I know there at NA but thought id ask 

thanks in advance

barry

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Admin
On 28/11/2010 at 18:41, Ron Clifton said:

Just bringing this thread back to the top to help someone with another query today.

Ron

Thanks for this list Ron,

I am bumping it to the fore again as it is very useful.

@Neil Mackenzie you may find this of use in your latest search?

Regards, Bob.