Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glorious Glosters

philary

Have just found, by chance, an amazing website about the Glorious Glo'sters. (Apologies to anyone who already knows about it!). Lots of information. Particularly enjoyed the detailed extracts from the war diaries.

I'm still trying to understand battalions, divisions and numbering systems. Thank heavens for the Long Long Trail, it's my bible!

website is: http://members.tripod.com/~Glosters/

Hope this helps someone else.

Hilary

I now have copies of all the Bn War Diaries (that served overseas) if you want anything looked up. Eventually I will put up more detailed accounts for each Bn on the web site.

Steve

Glorious Glosters

Love the site. I'd only found the sister site for casualties, and that's helped me no end.

I now have something to aspire to with my research with the West Kents. I've a long way to go!

I only found out today that my grand-uncle served in the Gloucestershire Regt, and I'm wondering if you've come across him in your research. I doubt it but here's hoping.

39925 Pte. Percy Duncalf.

Did you get access to the regimental magazine at the museum, or can you purchase them from second hand dealers?

Thanks,

Matthew

Steve

Thanks for responding. I will be getting in touch with you regarding war diaries as 2 of my great uncles served with the 48th South Midlands Division, one in the first and one in the third. Both succumbed to wounds and are buried in France and Belguim. We are taking a trip over in the autumn to visit the sites.

Brief details regarding my great uncles are on my website www.philary.co.uk on the pages "The Sutton's Great War" & "The Sutton Family" if you want the information regarding these soldiers. I shall of course, be updating as I find out more.

I want to spend a little more time reading your pages, I have only managed to speed read them!!!

Hilary

Matthew,

Pte Percy Duncalf was drafted to France on 13/7/15 for service with 81 Bde RFA as No 57305. He later transferred to 107 Bde RFA No 57305, then to Mil Foot Police as No D/15910 before being transferred to the Glos Regt as 39925(Bn not known).

Regards

Joe

Joe,

That's great information. Where did you get it all?

His MIC only indicates service with R.F.A. and Gloucesters, unless its in the bits I haven't deciphered yet.

Lots of new leads to research.

He appears to have had quite a varied war, including capture at Passchendaele.

Thank you

Matthew

Matthew,

I have stayed out of the discussion threads by those who are researching and creating databases from the on-line MICs as this may be the only source that people have access to. The on-line MICs are only a small part of the information available - indeed having transcribed all of the medal rolls for the Glos Regt at the PRO I have a better idea than most how misleading and partial the on-line MICs may be. I am also concerned that some people may think that this is all of the information that is available.

Your information came from the Medal Rolls themselves rather than the MICs. The rolls actually gave the artillery units (assuming I haven't made a transcription error!).

Joe

Joe.

I thought that that was probably the source you used, but having never seen the medal rolls I was hesitant to postulate that they held so much information.

Just to get a rough idea of the feasibility of doing a similar study for the West Kents rolls, how long did it take you to transcribe the Glosters and how many pages of information did that come to?

I agree that the MICs seem to be an imperfect source, but until/if the PRO or a company like "Yesteryear" digitizes the rolls I guess its all that those of us with no immediate access to the PRO can hope for. As you rightly pointed out, it does illustrate the amount of information those of us attempting to create databases with MIC information are probably missing out on. I'm certainly convinced that the rolls are the way to go.

I'm very glad that you spent the time to transcribe the Glosters' roll.

Matthew

Steve,

Very glad to have been introduced to your site on the Glosters. I have recently identified one of the Thetford Grammar School Old Boys as a member of your regiment. I was interested to learn that he must have been one of the 46 killed by heavy shell fire west of High Wood on the day the 1st Bn. took over from the 2/60th. I realise that ORs are rarely mentioned by name but I always feel that it is worth asking. Also do you have any more detail about this period in the line so that I can fill out the story for my pupils?

28. SURNAME: Sudbury

C/NAMES: William Stanley

DOB: 29/11/97

UNIT: 1st Bn. Gloucestershire Regt.

DATE OF DEATH: 20/8/16

AGE AT DEATH: 18

MEMORIAL: Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval.

PARENTS: son of Mr and Mrs W B Sudbury, of ‘Lee Wood’, near Matlock.

TGS: 1910 – 1914

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Best wishes,

David

Steve

You have an excellent and comprehensive site.

Wonder if you can help. I am trying to discover the true service record of 2Lt Cecil Adamson who enlisted in the 19th R Fusiliers in Sept 1914 and then went to No 5 Officer Cadet Bn before being commissioned on 4 or 5 September 1916. His MIC and the medal roll says into the DLI but his papers in WO 339 say into the Gloucestershire Regiment.

(It is definitely the same man as both records show his previous service in the R Fus and the MIC and WO 339 show later service in the RE).

In 1918 he was transfered to the Royal Engineers where he won an M.C. in October 18.

Is there any reference to him joining the 12th Bn of the Glosters in their War Diary I guess some time in late September/October 1916.

Really grateful for any ideas or info.

Best wishes

Tony

• 2 years later...

From the CEF Study Group list of Recomended Great War websites. Borden Battery

The Glorious Glosters – The Gloucestershire Regiment 1914-1919

This website has a simple but clear format with information on most of the 18 battalions of the Gloucestershire Regiment by year and including Russia in 1919. There is generally a narrative of events, recipients of awards (DSO, MM & DCM), honour rolls (Loos, Gallipoli) and lists of officers killed by year.

Recommended by [Fedelmar][CEF Study Group - Sept 2006]

http://members.tripod.com/%7EGlosters/first.html