Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commander of 164th MG Coy July 1917

Mark Hone

In similar vein to an earlier query, does anyone know the name of the CO of 164th MG Company 55th Division in July 1917? I have a copy of a wonderful condolence letter he sent regarding his 2 i/c Lt John Hartington MC which I am sending to Lijssenthoek as part of their memorial database project. Unfortunately the officer, who had himself been gassed on 15th July in the same bombardment in which Hartington was killed, neglected to sign the letter, reproduced below:

'My Dear Mr and Mrs Hartington,

It is with mingled feelings of grief and pride that I take up my pen to write to you. Grief at the loss of my 2nd in command and close friend, pride at being the company commander who had your son serving under him.

Words quite fail me to express what a loss your son is to one and all here. Although so young he was looked upon by the Brigadier and others in authority as one of the bravest and most efficient officers in the Brigade. And time after time he has justified their confidence.

On that dreadful night when he met his death he was continually outside the dugout looking after others whom he thought might be in need of help. The cause of his death was not enemy shell but a dump in very close proximity to our headquarters exploded and a piece of brass from a 4.5 inch cartridge case penetrated his stomach. We immediately took him to the dressing station, he was in the doctor’s hands 5 minutes after he was hit and everything possible was done, but, as you will have heard without avail. He passed away the following evening about 9 p.m. in the C.C.S . (Casualty Clearing Station). He was buried at Lijssenhoek (sic) Cemetery on the Poperinghe. Boeschepe road (near Poperinghe). Plot 13 E 1.

Your son’s kit has all been packed up and despatched to the base and you will no doubt receive it in due course.

I regret I have not written you earlier, but I myself, have only just returned from Hospital, having been gassed the same night.

Assuring you of my deepest sympathy-I shall ever hold your son in proud memory. Sincerely yours.'

MH

His name and signature is probably at the end of each month in the unit War Diary. I can't provide the reference as Kew seems overworked tonight.

Sotonmate

Captain Nichols is your man - Clifton (?) Nichols if my reading of his signature is correct

To paraphrase the War Diary:

13th Jul ... Lt Hartington (DOW), CSM Bayly (wounded) by shell from exploded magazine opposite, extensive damage to dug outs on Canal Bank - Gas shells by enemy Lt Cale + 20 ORs to hospital suffering from effects of gas.

14th Jul .... Capt Nichols + 1 OR to hospital (wounded by gas shell)

Nichols rejoined on 22nd Jul from hospital

The previous month Capt Nichols went on leave for a week and Hartington signed the war diary for that month proving him to be Coy 2IC.

I had hoped it had been Lt Richard Gale (commanded 6th Airborne Division in Second World War as a General) but he was only a subaltern and he went on leave in June and didn't return due to illness.

I hope this helps - if you want a copy of the page in question PM me and I'll email it to you.

CWT

In similar vein to an earlier query, does anyone know the name of the CO of 164th MG Company 55th Division in July 1917? I have a copy of a wonderful condolence letter he sent regarding his 2 i/c Lt John Hartington MC which I am sending to Lijssenthoek as part of their memorial database project. Unfortunately the officer, who had himself been gassed on 15th July in the same bombardment in which Hartington was killed, neglected to sign the letter, reproduced below:

'My Dear Mr and Mrs Hartington,

It is with mingled feelings of grief and pride that I take up my pen to write to you. Grief at the loss of my 2nd in command and close friend, pride at being the company commander who had your son serving under him.

Words quite fail me to express what a loss your son is to one and all here. Although so young he was looked upon by the Brigadier and others in authority as one of the bravest and most efficient officers in the Brigade. And time after time he has justified their confidence.

On that dreadful night when he met his death he was continually outside the dugout looking after others whom he thought might be in need of help. The cause of his death was not enemy shell but a dump in very close proximity to our headquarters exploded and a piece of brass from a 4.5 inch cartridge case penetrated his stomach. We immediately took him to the dressing station, he was in the doctor's hands 5 minutes after he was hit and everything possible was done, but, as you will have heard without avail. He passed away the following evening about 9 p.m. in the C.C.S . (Casualty Clearing Station). He was buried at Lijssenhoek (sic) Cemetery on the Poperinghe. Boeschepe road (near Poperinghe). Plot 13 E 1.

Your son's kit has all been packed up and despatched to the base and you will no doubt receive it in due course.

I regret I have not written you earlier, but I myself, have only just returned from Hospital, having been gassed the same night.

Assuring you of my deepest sympathy-I shall ever hold your son in proud memory. Sincerely yours.'

post-47743-1268599477.jpg

My apologies - on reflection it looks a bit more like Clifford Nichols

Sorry!

CWT

Captain Nichols is your man - Clifton (?) Nichols if my reading of his signature is correct

To paraphrase the War Diary:

13th Jul ... Lt Hartington (DOW), CSM Bayly (wounded) by shell from exploded magazine opposite, extensive damage to dug outs on Canal Bank - Gas shells by enemy Lt Cale + 20 ORs to hospital suffering from effects of gas.

14th Jul .... Capt Nichols + 1 OR to hospital (wounded by gas shell)

Nichols rejoined on 22nd Jul from hospital

The previous month Capt Nichols went on leave for a week and Hartington signed the war diary for that month proving him to be Coy 2IC.

I had hoped it had been Lt Richard Gale (commanded 6th Airborne Division in Second World War as a General) but he was only a subaltern and he went on leave in June and didn't return due to illness.

I hope this helps - if you want a copy of the page in question PM me and I'll email it to you.

CWT