Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch badge - Genuine or not WW1?

biffrocks

Hi

Picked up this Black Watch badge this morning at a car boot sale, the guy I brought it off said it was his Grandads and that it was made of scottish silver. It's very thin but very hard, very difficult to bend and quite heavy. I wondered if anyone can offer me advice on whether genuine, there is what appears to be genuine wear to the front of the badge from polishing but I am sure this can be faked.

Black.jpg">

Black2.jpg">

Black1.jpg">

Could be slver plate- has it worn off the lugs at the back showing copper?. If you try to make a mark on paper with silver/silver plate items it will make a grey line, a standard white metal badge will just make an indentation on the paper. Regards, Paul.

Could be slver plate- has it worn off the lugs at the back showing copper?. If you try to make a mark on paper with silver/silver plate items it will make a grey line, a standard white metal badge will just make an indentation on the paper. Regards, Paul.

Hi

Thanks for that, I've tried it and it's left a grey line so guess it's as you suggested silver plate.

Rob

A bit difficult to tell from the blurred pics but it looks OK to me.

Hi

Thanks for that, I thought / hoped it was a good one but these days you never know.

Rob

If Silver* or Silver Plate it would suggest Senior NCO or Officers Badge!!!

It does look to be cast;as opposed to being "struck" from a die,& the wear doesnt show through Brass/Copper so may be Silver!!

If Silver* or Silver Plate it would suggest Senior NCO or Officers Badge!!!

It does look to be cast;as opposed to being "struck" from a die,& the wear doesnt show through Brass/Copper so may be Silver!!

Hi

The guy I brought it off said it was his grandads and he was a Serjeant Major, so what you are saying seems to back up what the guy told me. Not something I would have sold if it had been my Grandads but it's gone to a good home.

Thanks for the info.

Rob

Looks a very nice genuine example. I have my G/dads KSLI badge from WW1 and it is the only one in my collection that will NEVER be sold on. Pleased that your new acquisition has found a good home. Ralph.