Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd.lt./Lt/Capt. Francis Thomas Goble

Walter Kortooms

Francis Thomas Goble was born in Hackney in 1889. When war broke out in 1914 he was a Lance-Corporal in the 1/16th (County of London) Battalion (Queen’s Westminster Rifles). In January 1915 he was promoted to Corporal.

In October 1915 he was granted a commission to the 4th Bn. (ER) Scottish Rifles. He awarded a MC in 1917 whilst serving with the 9th Bn. Scottish Rifles. In 1918 as a Captain commanding a company of the 1st Bn. Scottish Rifles he was awarded a second MC. After the war he seems to have emigrated to Australia.

I already have his file from the National Archive and information from the London Gazette and Ancestry.co.uk.

I’m looking for more information about Francis Thomas Goble. Does anyone know if he is mentioned in other sources (regimental histories etc.) and if anyone has found a photograph of him.

Thanks in advance!

Walter Kortooms

Walter

He gets two mentions in the history although his name is spelt as Goble. Looks like he was with D Company. There is narrative of him leading a recon for a trench raid on the 21st of March 1918 and a mention of him leading another recon on the 16th of April

Family pressure (I think it's called Mother's Day) means I won't be able to transcribe them until tomorrow evening, hope that's OK

Regards John

Thanks!

Is it already Mother's Day in Britain?

Mothers in the Netherlands have to wait till may 9th...

Thanks,

Walter

PS

Goble is the correct name, not Gobble... :blush: ....Sorry!

Walter

He gets two mentions in the history although his name is spelt as Goble. Looks like he was with D Company. There is narrative of him leading a recon for a trench raid on the 21st of March 1918 and a mention of him leading another recon on the 16th of April

Family pressure (I think it's called Mother's Day) means I won't be able to transcribe them until tomorrow evening, hope that's OK

Regards John

Walter

Better late than never

March 21st 1918 Meteren

Earlier on the 21st a specially selected party of three officers and thirty NCOs and men of the 1st Battalion had left at 4am for Crest Farm to spend the day there reconnoitring with a view to raiding the enemy occupied posts in the vicinity of the gasometer. The party moved off at 11.25pm and made its way to the Headquarters of D Company, holding the right of the battalion's front. There it was split up into four groups, two under the command of Lieutenant Goble MC, who had 12531 (assume this is a map reference), Lance Sergeant J Young (killed on the 13th of April 1918) with him, and the other two led by Lieutenant Liddle and Corporal Welsh. A covering party of fifteen rank and file was being provided by D Company, under the command of Lieutenant Bacon consisting of two Lewis gun teams and a section of riflemen.

When the raiding party was making its way to the front line, a shell burst on the track which knocked out most of Lieutenant Goble's party killing one man and wounding six others. To make up the numbers, men were found from D Company. As soon as the reorganisation was completed the raiders passed through a gap in the wire and crawled to within a hundred yards of the gasometer where, at 1.47am, on the 22nd, they were formed up with twenty yards between groups. Promptly at 2.05am an artillery and trench mortar barrage fell on the enemy posts and the raiders advanced through the covering party towards the objective. They cut their way through two belts of barbed wire and reached the gasometer without encountering any opposition. neither did they find any enemy though they searched diligently. At 2.17am they made their way back to Crest Farm and five minutes later the covering party lying out in No Mans Land was withdrawn to the front line without incident.

16th of April 1918 Fontaine Houch

After dark Lieutenant Goble MC led a patrol from the 1st Battalion position and then reached the northern outskirts of Meteren Village, from which place fire was opened upon him and his patrol. he returned to report that the enemy was holding Meteren and that the two French battalions had halted and filled the gaps in the British front line.

Thats the lot

Hope its of use to you

John