Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Kings Liverpool

tonydilworth

Hi all

am new on this forum so hopefully i've got to the right place... can any one help me doing the family tree and i've got a great grandad William Brady private 9807 of the kings Liverpool 28/11/1914 i wonder is there any other information out there for me ?? any photo's ? hopefully someone can help me

all the best

Tony

Hi Tony - and welcome to the boards.

From the information you've given - his regimental number and date of entry into his first theatre of war - I'm assuming you've got his Medals Index Card, which also shows he was discharged with a Silver War Badge ("SWB", also known as "Silver Wound Badge" given to men to show they'd served and weren't cowards as some people might assume if they weren't on active service). You'll also see he was entitled to three medals, the 1915 Star, British and Victory. If you haven't seen it, here's a link to a copy you can buy from the National Archives:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=1575222

You may be aware that 60-70% of service records were destroyed during WW2, giving a 1-in-3 chance of anything surviving. On a quick look round, I can't see any records for him, but do post as much information about him as you can and it's possible something will surface.

That's the basics out of the way but I'm sure the real experts will be along shortly and take this forward for you. Having conducted some research for a friend on this regiment recently, I know there's a wealth of information on this Forum and I'm sure if there is anything to add you will find it here.

Louise

Hi Tony - and welcome to the boards.

From the information you've given - his regimental number and date of entry into his first theatre of war - I'm assuming you've got his Medals Index Card, which also shows he was discharged with a Silver War Badge ("SWB", also known as "Silver Wound Badge" given to men to show they'd served and weren't cowards as some people might assume if they weren't on active service). You'll also see he was entitled to three medals, the 1915 Star, British and Victory. If you haven't seen it, here's a link to a copy you can buy from the National Archives:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=1575222

You may be aware that 60-70% of service records were destroyed during WW2, giving a 1-in-3 chance of anything surviving. On a quick look round, I can't see any records for him, but do post as much information about him as you can and it's possible something will surface.

That's the basics out of the way but I'm sure the real experts will be along shortly and take this forward for you. Having conducted some research for a friend on this regiment recently, I know there's a wealth of information on this Forum and I'm sure if there is anything to add you will find it here.

Louise

Hi Louise,

thanks for your reply yes i got the medal information index card with some details on i didn't no about the SWB I will try and find more info soon and post it on the forum.

I've been told that he lost a leg due to injury, Am not sure who as his medals etc.. or if i can get a copy to hold on to, am not sure were to start with that at the moment !! any ideas would be a great help... the link you have sent me will that give me the same info i have example the medal index card from ancestory.com or more ? it's all part of the family tree am working on so thanks again for your reply and hopefully speak again soon

Tony

Tony,

Pte William Brady enlisted on 20/10/10 and crossed to France on 28/11/14 in one of the early reinforcement drafts for the 1st Battalion KLR. He was discharged from the Army, wounded, on 8/4/16. He was awarded Silver War Badge 14948 (if you do not know what this is Google it on the web).

I have no further information.

Promenade

Tony,

Pte William Brady enlisted on 20/10/10 and crossed to France on 28/11/14 in one of the early reinforcement drafts for the 1st Battalion KLR. He was discharged from the Army, wounded, on 8/4/16. He was awarded Silver War Badge 14948 (if you do not know what this is Google it on the web).

I have no further information.

Promenade

hi Promenade,

thanks for your help i think this maybe the wrong person William is my great gran dad he had a daughter Mary Brady... Dad tells me he lost his leg after being caught on the barbed wire whilst serving with the 1st kings liverpool in France

KIND REGARDS

TONY