Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Delville Wood Trench Map

Jonathan_NW

Hi all

Would anyone be kind enough to share with me a trench map of Delville Wood AND be able to highlight where today's South African Memorial would be on it? I was there last Saturday and walking through the trees was a remarkable experience.

Kind Regards

Jonathan

See attached map I haven't the location of the Memorial.

John

post-1365-1268519042.jpg

Thanks John that's terrific. The road layout is exactly the same as on todays map so it's easy for me to work out where I went!

Cheers

Jonathan

Brilliant! Saved me a job Ken. How do you do it? Is it a technique you have developed or do you have a nifty piece of software?

Regards

Jonathan

I use PaintShop Pro, but many people use Photoshop.

The way it's done is to start with the aerial photo as the base layer, then add a second layer, paste the trench map onto the second layer and make that second layer semi-transparent so that the photo is visible underneath. The level of transparency can be adjusted to suit.

It takes practice, but the results can be very useful, especially for taking to the site. I laminate mine for field use.

Ken

Just for information, if anyone is really interested in Delville Wood WO153/184 at Kew has 41 maps of the wood and WO153/209 has daily situation maps. I have not looked at these yet but they could be interesting for someone with a deep interest.

Jim

• 5 months later...

Is known how many soldiers of the Commonwealth and German soldiers are still buried in Delville Wood ?

Hi all

Would anyone be kind enough to share with me a trench map of Delville Wood AND be able to highlight where today's South African Memorial would be on it? I was there last Saturday and walking through the trees was a remarkable experience.

Kind Regards

Jonathan

I will be spending some time there next April and I am looking forward to it.

Just for information, if anyone is really interested in Delville Wood WO153/184 at Kew has 41 maps of the wood and WO153/209 has daily situation maps. I have not looked at these yet but they could be interesting for someone with a deep interest.

Jim

Jim. I shall make a point of getting to Kew prior to the visit to get a look at these, it may make the visit that much better.

Regards

Arm

I din't know Angle trench ran through the cemetery. Very poignant for me as I've also been there. The stories of the events this particular part of the war are spine chilling.

I've always thought of it as 'Devil's Wood' rather than Delville Wood. And walking along the some of the woodland paths didn't do anything to change my impression of it.

Is known how many soldiers of the Commonwealth and German soldiers are still buried in Delville Wood ?

Anyone any information ?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone any idea where I can find more information about this subject ?