Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"On Today's Date Feature "

ianw

I am always interested on anniversary events as featured on the home page of Chris' main site. However, these events jump from year to year. I wonder if the imminent 90th Anniversary of the start of the Great War could be commemorated by a continuing "On Today's Date 90 Years Ago" feature , in the same manner as the famous TV Programme "All Our Yesterdays" that older Forum Users will remember.

This would serve to give a "real time" record of the length of campaigns, a reminder of the weather that was endured etc. We could start it now with events that took place in the Summer of 1914 as a prelude to War.

This sounds a great and interesting idea, where would you get the details from?

Ali

Ian this does sound like a good idea. You could pick up events and dates from some of the basic coffee table books even. The real work I think would be posting them eveyday. I am not sure how easy it would be to automate it like the 'Remebering Today'. Andy

Couldn't it be run as an ordinary thread? I'm sure people would be keen to keep it going with a wide range of material - family anecdotes, local newspaper reports and items from the home front, as well as the main action from the war itself.

Sue

I think that's a good idea Sue. This would save any particular individual having to take the job on , and domestic family happenings would be interesting to contrast with the great events.

I might be best if going for the thread option to make a new one every week or so, or would people prefer a long continuous thread?

Ali

For ease of searching, and to keep threads tidy, how about a thread per day? No need to post on that particular day, but all material would relate to just one day.

For ease of searching, and to keep threads tidy, how about a thread per day? No need to post on that particular day, but all material would relate to just one day.

This sounds like the right idea.

Perhaps Chris B could creat a new 'forum' called "On this day" or some such; one thread per day with standardised naming, only stuff about specific events on that day, quote your source and don't start until the 90th anniversary.

Regards

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Are we going to do it?

It seemed like a good idea.

A significant date has been reached.

Regards

Anthony

And within minutes... it was done!

Many thanks, Chris.

Anthony