Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Required soldiers details

David McCallion

Hello a lady came in to exhibition today with a trio to Pte R Parker 15/15757 15th Bn Royal Irish Rifles

name Richard born 1899? died 10th July 1955 also Irish comrades of great war badge (does the number on back relate to the soldier)

and a boxing medal 107 Brigade 1918 nice to have seen all together

she said he was the caretaker of the old Ballymena Town hall were the exhibition is in the new part so would be nice to see if he has a service record that survived

she will be coming back in monday or tuesday and would like any information on him as this was her grandfather

can any one help and do a search for me

and this is a strange one another lady showed me a star and a war medal no victory medal how ever she said he was killed in action i searched the cwgc and could not find him can any one shed some light on him shes a bit older and says it is her father

on medal box two numbers cant make out possibly 64 or 94 / 064589 top right of box number 2550 Pte W Gordon A.S.C

she will also be back on monday

your help as always would be appreciated

ladies and gents

yours Davey

Davey - in the Ballymena Observer list of recruits pre May 1915 there is a W. Gordon of Ballymena listed for the ASC. I don't have a record of any W. Gordon ASC from Ballymena being kia ... there are two W. Gordons KIA from area .. both infantry.

Parker Richard 90 Upper Md Street Belfast: North Duncairn N E Unionist Assoc Rooms Brougham Street Wilson, J

Signs Ulster Covenant - location of signing would tie in with his Battalion assuming it is the 15th Rifles

maybe came to won after war?

Davey - in the Ballymena Observer list of recruits pre May 1915 there is a W. Gordon of Ballymena listed for the ASC. I don't have a record of any W. Gordon ASC from Ballymena being kia ... there are two W. Gordons KIA from area .. both infantry.

does the number on the medal box tie in any where mate

Parker Richard 90 Upper Md Street Belfast: North Duncairn N E Unionist Assoc Rooms Brougham Street Wilson, J

Signs Ulster Covenant - location of signing would tie in with his Battalion assuming it is the 15th Rifles

maybe came to won after war?

the medals have the prefix 15 and she did say he wasnt originaly from won hey lol

she said he was also in won home guard as well as caretaker for town hall mate local story for you

may be something in council records?

Having no luck with MICs .. just not working for me in case of Gordon or Parker!

here is the box mate

may be he wasnt killed but wounded and was killed after the war or died of wounds outside the cut of point 1922 was it

post-49709-1268515078.jpg

Pte William Gordon's service record is on Ancestry.

S/4/064589 Ulster Div Train ASC. From Garfield Place, Ballymena. Age 29, a butcher.

Pte William Gordon's service record is on Ancestry.

S/4/064589 Ulster Div Train ASC. From Garfield Place, Ballymena. Age 29, a butcher.

thank you johnny i cant access ancestry but great news its there was kia

MIC for Richard Parker

thank you diane appreciated does he have a service record

1911 census entry :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...d_Place/116633/

Service records show he lived at 5 Garfield Place. Wife Letitia nee Cameron. 3 children - William, Agnes and Margaret. Married in Ballymena 1906

Mother Margaret. Father deceased but not named, Brothers Robert and Thompson mentioned along with sisters Aggie and Mary Jane. 3 nieces/nephews mentioned

the rest of the family are also in Garfield Place in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...d_Place/116598/

1911 census entry :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...d_Place/116633/

Service records show he lived at 5 Garfield Place. Wife Letitia nee Cameron. 3 children - William, Agnes and Margaret. Married in Ballymena 1906

Mother Margaret. Father deceased but not named, Brothers Robert and Thompson mentioned along with sisters Aggie and Mary Jane. 3 nieces/nephews mentioned

the rest of the family are also in Garfield Place in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...d_Place/116598/

grrrrrrrreat job how do i get ancestry service record and mic copies how do i join and is it expensive too

Sorry, no idea as I don't have Ancestry subscription

Thank you Diane hope all is well down under

got a lovely 14th bn Irish Rifles from Australia last week would love to have found out how it got there

cheers Davey

Worth trying a local library to see if they have free access? Alternatively Ancestry offer pay per view: 12 record views for 14 days £6.95. There's also a voucher system which gives 10 record views over 14 days but I can't see a price anywhere, though I assume it's the same. The link is here:-

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/subscribe/signup...=&TargetId=

Click on "prefer to pay as you go".

Worth trying a local library to see if they have free access? Alternatively Ancestry offer pay per view: 12 record views for 14 days £6.95. There's also a voucher system which gives 10 record views over 14 days but I can't see a price anywhere, though I assume it's the same. The link is here:-

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/subscribe/signup...=&TargetId=

Thank you I will take a look cant wait to see her face on monday when i reach her the service record lol

Thank you I will take a look cant wait to see her face on monday when i reach her the service record lol

ok thats not going to work will have to wait till monday damn

is there a service record for our 15th bn man richard parker on ancestery

Thank you johnny

got the copies of the census down loaded and printed of

I think you can still dip into Ancestry free for 14 days [but remember to cancel subscription before that time is up ;)]

My local (large) library is open on Sundays.

It would seem so - 9 pages, but be prepared for a cover sheet and possibly a handwritten note to be included in that total.

Garfield Place is up behind Camerons, Broughshane Street .. it's mainly a car park now.

BTW a Robert Gordon of Garfield Place is also listed as serving in the pre May 1915 recruit lists ... Royal Irish Rifles

Well done all the Ancestry and MIC searchers!

One more thing - the MIC transcription for Parker lists him as R Irish Fusiliers 15th Btn ..

Must be a clerical error. R Irish Fusiliers did not have a 15th Btn. remain convinced this should be Irish Rifles.

Thank you johnny

got the copies of the census down loaded and printed of

you may want to see if you can find the nieces and nephews on the census :

Jane McVeigh 4 Garfield Place

James Air Glenavy, Co Antrim

David Gordon, Cooper St, Belfast

The childrens dates of birth are :

William 29/5/1912

Agnes 9/12/1914

Margaret (Eyre?) 20/5/1908

William enlisted 2nd March 1915 but was discharged 21/1/1916 as no longer physically fit. There's an odd receipt from the Police for an armlet and pamphlet to him at Antrim Asylum dated April 1916.

There is a Pension record too but it's not a pleasant read.