Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this officer's cap WWI?

meekumslr

Hello everyone.

This is my first post after becoming engrosed in the site.

Can anyone tell me if the cap I have is WWI or later?

The makers label says 'Alkit LTD, Naval : Military : RAF: and sporting outfitters, Cambridge Circus, London WC2'.

I have attached some photos but can answer questions if it aids identification.

Thank you very much for your help.

Neil.post-54005-1268507793.jpg

"Alkit" features heavily on products from the 1930's onwards, especially garments WWII garments, so I dont beleive it goes back to WW1. Note that the RAF was created in April 1918 so definately no earlier than that date. I would guess 1920/30's period cap. Any chance of a pic of the lining?

WC2 not good..post WW1 post code.

TT

Hello everyone.

This is my first post after becoming engrosed in the site.

Can anyone tell me if the cap I have is WWI or later?

The makers label says 'Alkit LTD, Naval : Military : RAF: and sporting outfitters, Cambridge Circus, London WC2'.

I have attached some photos but can answer questions if it aids identification.

Thank you very much for your help.

Neil.post-54005-1268507793.jpg

post-54005-1268511338.jpg

Thank you very much chaps for the information.

I know its cavalry as I also have the stirrups, crop, horses bit etc but didn't have a clue of its age.

The Steel 'Bit' has 'A&N stores Calcutta' impressed.

I should have realised about the RAF's late formation in the war but fascinating info regarding postcodes.

Neil.

Showing us the buttons may also assist..

Hello Neil,

The gabardine fabric, quilted liner, green leather-ette under visor, narrow chinstrap, bronze GS chinstrap buttons and general construction (piping, seams, etc.) all look Great War vintage, however, the shape and size of the visor seems a bit later. While it is similar to GW period gor'blimeys and trench caps, it is not typical of 'stiff' osd caps of the period. The sweat band is also atypical of GW period examples. However, there were SO MANY variations in officer's kit, especially towards the end of the war that I don't think those two anomolies can confirm it as post war. As has already been noted, the postal code and "RAF" on the maker's label do not absolutely condemn the cap as there were a few months left in the war after the RAF was formed, and over a year left after the postal codes were changed, and as kit was flying off the shelves the maker might well have updated his labels frequently. I think it comes down to when ALLKIT was in business. ALLKIT has already been mentioned on the Forum as a post-war vendor. I can't confirm or deny this, but will only say that given the implosion of demand for officer's kit following the GW I could never understand why, as some have claimed, ALLKIT was created in the 20-30s when there were already so many established firms struggling to keep afloat. I think the crux of the biscuit would be to determine the EXACT dates of ALLKIT.

Cheers, Bill

Thank you so much Bill.

I will try to trace the Alkit history. I have to tell you that I was asked by a family member to sell the cap and a few other cavalry officer's pieces on 'that auction site' and didn't want to mislead anyone.

However, as a Great War enthusiast, I am very tempted to keep them now.

Many thanks again to all for their help identifying this cap.

Neil.

The buttons don't assist greatly as they are General List (Royal Arms) which were essentially the same pattern from 1901-1953; my gut tells me that the 'Allkit' label in the crown is WW2, and probably early at that; it looks like the kind of cap worn in the early war period, 1939-40. (Ervine-Andrews [VC 1940]of the East Lancashire Regiment wears a cap of a similar shape in the photos usually printed of him.