Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

duplicate medals not re-issue?

adam1981

i have accuirred a 14/15 star and war medal which are marked up with duplicate and then the usual number, rank, name and regiment.

i have seen 'R' for replacement but not 'duplicate'?

can anyone shed any light on this?

i pressuem these are newer reissues?

i have just checked the mic, it doesnt state re issue but has black ink writing on it (almost looks like biro).

if you have time have a look at the mic attached or on ancestry, his name is chattaway number 1337

the 'duplicate' is after the usual details on the medal. not before as originally stated

has anyone seen 'duplicate' before

Image1.gif

There's nothing on the MIC that I can see/ However his papers still exist.... under service papers not pension, despite him being discharged and SWB issued (usually Ancestry list service papers under pension instead). Maybe there's something on there?!?!

Oh, and he's listed as Ruskin Chattaway, 1357 not 1337 ;)

IIRC "Duplicate" was a term used in the 1960s/70s,to signify the issue of replacements,it is quite possible the MiC is inscribed in "Biro"*;The Index Cards were working tools for the Army Medal Offfice up until their release to the Public Domain in the 1980s,& the cessation of issuing/reissuing WW1 Medals

*I have a number of MiC Copies that show "Biro" remarks & anotations dated to the 60s.70s & 80s

hello eviltaxman (nice name)

have you seen that black writing on mic before?

i have had a look at the service papers, nothing i can see 'out of the ordinary' (apart from duplicate on page 1, but i believe that refers to the papers only)

is duplicate official for the re issue of medals as i have never seen this before?

I have a number of medals in my collection marked "DUPLICATE". I have always assumed that these were officially issued with the originals having been lost and the authorities being persuaded that it was beyond the recipient's care. This could mean being lost/stolen in the post or lost in a sunken ship. These come through R.A.F., Liverpool Regiment, Royal Field Artillery, and R.A. I have a further group marked "REPLACEMENT" to the R.F.A. I am not sure of the distinction between the two. I suppose in theory duplicate medals infer that the recipient still had the originals whereas replacement would mean that the originals were lost. But I think it more likely to be dependant when the medals were impressed. In the 1950s or 60s Replacement may have become normal rather than Duplicate.

I have seen D and R but not the full word I believe that theses are very much the latest replacement and duplicate issues not from the 60 to 80s but newer

there was a group sold from a big UK dealer that was marked replacement on all medals only in the last 2 weeks .I thought that the first replacements were not marked at all i have at least 3 in which there is no difference just a note on the service record or MIC informing of this

MC

thankyou very much all for the responces on this matter,

in relation i have seen several mic's with (from memory) april 1984 stamped on them, i pressume this relates to what HarryBettsMCDCM is referring to?

Jim Strawbridge, very interesting points regarding the different types, ie replacement etc, any idea how to get 'official' answer to this query?

To answer 27thBN I don't think that the medals that I have are post 70s and the naming is consistent with 1920s although I think that one set belongs to the 60s. As to Adam1981 I believe that the MIC shows the date of new medals being sent out and so if you gather enough details of known duplicate/replacement medals then the MICs should reveal if there was a consistant usage of the words DUPLICATE or REPLACEMENT covering different periods. As a starter for ten - here are mine :-

K.S.L.I. 7201 PTE. W.WALSH. BWM marked REPLACEMENT

R.F.A./R.A. 260135 GNR. J.WRENTMORE. BWM,vcty pair marked REPLACEMENT

R.M. PLY.731/S PTE H.TYSON. (ENT) BWM marked REPLACEMENT

RIF.BRIG. 46492 PTE. C.V.MOSS. BWM marked REPLACEMENT

S.GDS. 10870 GDSM. S.E.DALLAS. BWM marked REPLACEMENT

S.GDS. 14267 PTE. A.J.MCDOUGALL.BWM,vcty pair marked REPLACEMENT

R.A.F. 236188 AM.1. J.A.WOODHAMS.vcty marked DUPLICATE

21/LOND.R,2379 PTE. G.DEACOCK 1914/5 star trio marked DUPLICATE (all 21/L

L'POOL.R. 3967 PTE. L.W.CRAIG BWM marked DUPLICATE

MIDD'X.R. G.177 PTE. J.CARTER. vcty marked DUPLICATE

R.F.A. 30818 BDR. C.COLLINS. vcty marked DUPLICATE

R.F.A. 81895 DVR. C.Mc CANN. BWM marked DUPLICATE (all to the R.F.A.)

R.F.A. 260135 GNR. J.WRENTMORE. BWM,vcty pair marked DUPLICATE (victory to the R.F.A. too)

R.F.A. 511 SGT. H.J.W.SCANES. BWM,vcty pair marked DUPLICATE (victory to the R.F.A. too)

R.MUNS.FUS. 10196 PTE. E.HAMILTON. mons trio marked DUPLICATE (pair to R.Mun.Fus)

As you can see I have tended to buy these when I see them and if at the right price. So if anyone wants to research the "whys and wherefores" here is a good start.

I can throw this into the mix. Official replacements from 1974 all marked as 'Duplicate'.

Neil

pics

post-42493-1268679670.jpg

post-42493-1268679739.jpg

post-42493-1268679760.jpg

post-42493-1268679806.jpg

post-42493-1268679830.jpg

I can throw this into the mix. Official replacements from 1974 all marked as 'Duplicate'.

Neil

pics

Nice group Neil Just need to have that pesty Duplicate word gone :blink: :blink: :blink:

Just need to have that pesty Duplicate word gone
.I Hope that is Tongue in cheek!!; ;)...But not suggested the word "Duplicate" is annoying but is part of the groups history & you never know there may be a very very interesting reason for the Re~issue!!

HB