Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Regiment Uniform Caps Badges etc

deanstalton

I found this photo in my old family album . Trying to identify which family member it is, can anyone help with what regiment it is. I have a feeling (back row first on the left hand side next to man in apron ) is my relative but unsure maybe i will beable to find out when i have more information.

Thankyou Dean

post-53551-1268478806.jpg

Royal Artillery..could be RGA or RFA..same badge.

Nice picture.

TT

Thanks TT

Would this be a cheshire or lancashire regiment? does any of the other badges (on ranked men) give any clues.

Dean

The RA was generic and recruited across the UK. Naturally some units would be associated with local parts of the UK and territorial units were linked to specific areas and made up of local men.

The other badges are rank badges and profficiency badges. Not sure what the star is on the man on the left. Some will advise but I do know that there is nothing to say which part of the UK the men are from

TT

The Lance Bombardier at left seems to be wearing a Trumpeter badge above stripes, and the star is possibly a Proficiency Star (Territorial Force) . Soldier at far right is a Staff Sergeant a brass artillery piece above the stripes and a crown above that. Send for Grumpy.

Looks like a a 5 pointed Efficiency Star to me.

Reporting for light duty. These men are Territorial Force RA. The star badge is one of two varieties denoting 'efficient' during the last period, probably 4 years.

Thanks Grumpy and Squirrel

Do you think this photo matches with the group photo (ie uniform or unit)

even though this picture is early war (i think)

Dean

post-53551-1268491342.jpg

Thanks Grumpy and Squirrel

Do you think this photo matches with the group photo (ie uniform or unit)

even though this picture is early war (i think)

Dean

Dean - yes, it sure does: 100%! Another RA man.

Mark

Hi Mark

I know that the last picture is Samuel Adshead(i have his medals)

so below is his medal card plus another photo with different cap badge?( do you know what the badge is?)

the problem we are having is seeing samuel in 1st photo however the regiment seems to tie up

Thanks For Any Help Dean

post-53551-1268497626.jpg

Second from the right seated at the front clutching a loaf of bread in the first photograph I would suggest.

Your last photograph is not there but the MIC shows Royal Garrison Artillery and Labour Corps so this could be the second badge.

Beat me to it! Close up of the badge would certainly help.

Yes could well be...another less likely option is E Yorks. My cash is on Cheshire!!

TT

Thanks TT

Cheshire regiment would make sense, seen his pension records on ancestry with different regimental no

and he was cheshire regiment reserves for 58days or so, then he must have been called up to serve abroad, but the records for that bit are missing

Dean

Thanks for that Mark

With the medal card saying he was a gunner in RA (PLUS MEDALS HAVE RA ON THEM)

maybe he isnt on the first picture, because the closet looking to him is bombardier.

Dean