Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who/What are in these photos?

tjphillips

For the image for the chaps in the "jousting" arrangement.

I am not aware of the formal name but the "knight" is holding a Lance from a mounted unit.

If you look at the bottom of the lance (behind the "knight") you will see the metal fitting for where it rested into some support arrangement for when the trooper was mounted on his horse. Whilst at the "pointy end" (for Monty Python fans), you will note the reflection from the metal point/blade. It looks strange because the head of the lance is vibrating, perhaps it was wobbled just as the shot was taken. This explains why the top of the wooden shaft of the lance appears to be becomming wider (fatter) just before the metal blade.

The knight is seated on a saddle and I would suggest that these chaps were just horsing around.

I recognise this item as I have a bamboo-shaft one back at home.

Regards, Peter

For the image for the chaps in the "jousting" arrangement.

I am not aware of the formal name but the "knight" is holding a Lance from a mounted unit.

If you look at the bottom of the lance (behind the "knight") you will see the metal fitting for where it rested into some support arrangement for when the trooper was mounted on his horse. Whilst at the "pointy end" (for Monty Python fans), you will note the reflection from the metal point/blade. It looks strange because the head of the lance is vibrating, perhaps it was wobbled just as the shot was taken. This explains why the top of the wooden shaft of the lance appears to be becomming wider (fatter) just before the metal blade.

The knight is seated on a saddle and I would suggest that these chaps were just horsing around.

I recognise this item as I have a bamboo-shaft one back at home.

Regards, Peter

Thanks Peter. You know I'd never noticed it was a lance. Perhaps it ties in with the top photo.

The 'knight' was my Great Uncle Joe who was killed as a civilian in WWII when his house was bombed.

Thanks again

Tania

At least two of the gentleman in the last photograph are wearing collar badges - it may or not be significant but I'm sure the uniform experts will be able to take something from that. Totally out of my depth as far as cavalry/mounted units are concerned.

Barrie

[edit] had just noted your question at the bottom of that image asking if it was of the TA - I have a very similar photograph of my grandfather in a yeomanry regiment from the early 1920s and when I first saw your photo it reminded me straight away of my grandfather's. I think the collar badges could point to post-war, possibly TA.

At least two of the gentleman in the last photograph are wearing collar badges - it may or not be significant but I'm sure the uniform experts will be able to take something from that. Totally out of my depth as far as cavalry/mounted units are concerned.

Barrie

[edit] had just noted your question at the bottom of that image asking if it was of the TA - I have a very similar photograph of my grandfather in a yeomanry regiment from the early 1920s and when I first saw your photo it reminded me straight away of my grandfather's. I think the collar badges could point to post-war, possibly TA.

Thank you again Barrie.

Tania

Tania

Are there any clues on the reverse of these photos?

The men in the first photo are not armed - at a higher resolution the mounted Officer facing the men appears to have his rank on his sleeve - nor is he armed - there is no sword on the saddle.

One can but surmise maybe this is a riding lesson back here in the UK? On active service mounted troops would usually be armed. I can see no swords or rifles being carried on horseback.

Philip

Tania

Are there any clues on the reverse of these photos?

The men in the first photo are not armed - at a higher resolution the mounted Officer facing the men appears to have his rank on his sleeve - nor is he armed - there is no sword on the saddle.

One can but surmise maybe this is a riding lesson back here in the UK? On active service mounted troops would usually be armed. I can see no swords or rifles being carried on horseback.

Philip

Hello Philip

The only clue is the photo of men on stairs has a note to say 'can you spot which is me Mum?' or something similar. I found them with all the other photos from my maternal grandmother two of whose brothers fought in the Great War. I just wondered if they had any link or not? My brother told me he thought the bottom photo was of the TA but I haven't a clue about the others, sorry.

Tania

I would say that the top photo is a lesson of some sort. The second, and I am guessing here, is a troop outside the stables. The 3rd picture is, as Peter says, a bit of horseplay. The tents could be a TA summer camp but could just as easily be on active service. I an completely clueless as to Unit ID but I'm sure one of the cavalry experts will pop up before long.

Probably won't help too much (pixillation?), but a close up of a cap badge or two might just be helpful.

Lower picture possibly post-war (collar dogs on o.r. uniform)?

Probably won't help too much (pixillation?), but a close up of a cap badge or two might just be helpful.

Lower picture possibly post-war (collar dogs on o.r. uniform)?

I've tried some close ups - the pixellation was too bad on one, but the other two might just be useful

post-53942-1268599746.jpg

I'd agree with that: so post-GW, but probably pre-1929 when the shoulder titles changed (according to Westlake). And the 'lance' is a line pole!

Absolutely definitely - the collar badge is the mirror of the 1920-47 cap badge (Mercury - aka 'Jimmy' - in a circlet with 'Royal Corps of Signals' around and a crown above, Jimmy facing inwards to the throat). The title is ROYAL CORPS/OF/SIGNALS

Thank you very much everyone.

You don't by any chance do a similar trick with identifying all those distant unknown relatives found on old black and white photos in the bottom of cupboards do you...?

Tania