Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals

17107BM

Hi all.

As you can see from the title, i'm new to the world of medals. I have a World War One trio set of medals in good condition for display with rifle and bayonet over the fire place. These are NOT just ornaments, i treat all the items with great respect.

My question is really in the minting and finishing of medals. Where were medals made, and what are they of?

Also, the stamping. Who, or what department was charged with the responsability of stamping medals?

Thanks in advance.

British Campaign & Gallantry Medals with a few exceptions are designed by/for & struck by the Royal Mint,BWM were struck @ various Empire Countries Mints due to the numbers required,The Stars & Territorial Force War Medal were Bronze,The British War Medal was Sterling Silver & The British & Commonwealth Allied Victory Medal was Gilt Laquered Bronze,giving it initially a "Golden" appearance

The below link to the Long Long Trail gives details of the Medals & Issuing Requirements of each award

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/themedals.htm

Whats wrong with having them as ornaments? I have them on all my walls and they certainly enhance the ambience, have i committed some huge faux pas?

You lot are not the only ones to have adorning walls in the house.

120 odd hanging from the walls in the study - it's the only room I have permission from OC home-front to show them off. All are framed and I think they look rather nice.

Cheers Andy.

You lot are not the only ones to have adorning walls in the house.

120 odd hanging from the walls in the study - it's the only room I have permission from OC home-front to show them off. All are framed and I think they look rather nice.

Cheers Andy.

120 i need to have the same OC as you do .I have 3 groups framed on the walls thats it your a lucky man

Cheers MC

Hi all.

As you can see from the title, i'm new to the world of medals. I have a World War One trio set of medals in good condition for display with rifle and bayonet over the fire place. These are NOT just ornaments, i treat all the items with great respect.

My question is really in the minting and finishing of medals. Where were medals made, and what are they of?

Also, the stamping. Who, or what department was charged with the responsability of stamping medals?

Thanks in advance.

Do you know anything about the recipient of the medals. Why not post the details and lets see what we can find.

Cheers Andy.