Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st Division

wainfleet

I have just run across an online thesis by a Kathryn Snowden on the tactical evolution of the 21st Division and thought it would be useful to mention it here. A quick impression is that it is very well-written and researched. It isn't a fullscale history but considers the division's performance at Bazentin-le-Petit in 1916, Broodseinde in 1917 and Miraumont and the Beaurevoir Line, both in 1918.

This thesis doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the forum. A resource like this, which the author has obviously taken so much trouble over, should be known and used, especially as there is no history of this division.

Bear in mind that this is a pdf and will take a few seconds to download. Here it is:

http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/21/1/Snowden01MPhil.pdf

Regards,

W.

Wainfleet,

Thanks.

Ian

I have a CD of the thesis; Kathryn gave me a copy a few years ago. Not sure what she's doing now, though.

Have to agree, this has distracted me from work for over an hour now, I dread to think of the hours, days, weeks and months of work that went into this. She should be commended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remembering my great grandfather - 285250 Private Peter Johnstone 6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders Killed 16/5/1917 - Roeux.

Many thanks for this - it's exactly what i've been looking for. My Gt Uncle was part of 15 DLI and we think he was wounded at the Beaurevoir Line on or about about 17th October 1918.

especially as there is no history of this division.

I am doing my best but life keeps getting in the way!

Kathryn's thesis is well thought of and was quoted as a source recently by a friend of mine in his thesis.

Regards

Arm

Many thanks for this - it's exactly what i've been looking for. My Gt Uncle was part of 15 DLI and we think he was wounded at the Beaurevoir Line on or about about 17th October 1918.

Great, I'm glad I was able to point you towards it.

I am doing my best but life keeps getting in the way!

Good luck - I know the feeling; I've been working off and on on a history of the Imperial Yeomanry in the Boer War for the past 15 years and am about a third of the way through it!