Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last Picture of Simon Fraser as depicted on Cobbers Statue Fromelles

mca07100

G'day Australian,

From another Aussie thanks for the post.I do not believe that we have contacted each other before.

As usual, therefore, I wonder if you are a member of "The Families and Friends of the First AIF "?

If not and you wish to learn more please respond by way of PM or direct response to this post.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Agree totally with Pop.

Membership of the AAAIF is well worth it and every issue of the magazine, Digger, is fascinating.

Peter

Hi Australian,

Tks for sharing the image.

It is interesting that the Australian War Memorial (Honour Roll), and I am told, that A W Bean records Simon Fraser as being KIA on 12 May 1917. The same day as my kin mentioned below in my signature, at Bullecourt.

The Australian War Memorial Red Cross Records, on page after page of eye-witness accounts, all say he died on 11 May 1917.

So who is wrong? The records or all of the eye-witnesses. Or, did he die on the stroke of midnight. Something we will never know.

Every time I am at Fromelles, I go to the Cobbers statue, there I stand and look into his face - it's so hard not to shed a tear. Three weeks ago, I did the same at the replica statue now in the Shrine of Remembrance precinct in Melbourne, and yes, I had to wipe away a tear or two.

I feel that the Cobbers statue stands for all of those who risked, and those who lost, their lives going out to try and save their mates. BLESS THEM ALL!

Regards, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for comments regarding Great Uncle Simon Fraser's last picture, this picture was taken at Easter 1917 , just before he was killed at Bullecourt I believe on the 11th of may, who will ever know with all the mixed reports.and yes I am a member of the 15th brigade and one of lambis Englezos's many friends, Simon had his photo taken as he was commissioned to 2nd Lt on this occasion ,look at his eyes , they show so much . He was afraid of having his photo taken , he wrote back home that he would rather face the 6inch guns.I will be there at Fromelles this year for the ceremony, but do not like my chances of getting in , As I have heard that only the relatives of the dead soldiers and VIPs both Australian and British will be given the 1st preference , . I walked the Ground with Lambis a few years ago at Pheasant Wood .We both have a passion to recover our war dead . A 20 cent coin will be introduced in Australia on April the 1st this year with the Cobbers emblem, the Fromelles School is now called Cobbers, we are proud of him, so much!! He used to write back home complaining of the Generals there, and was told to be quite by his kin here as it would get him into trouble, there is so much more about Simon that I will not post, at the end of the day his actions were stronger than any words at Fromelles where he defied them all to go out and rescue

By the way everyone Simon shaved off his moustasche

for the photo. I will post an earlier photo when a computer literate child of mine is here again. He was not married and his gold signet ring that he wore came from the Gold of the Diggings where his father James Fraser was a miner, it had SF initials , we never got it back, even though it was handed over,I am sure it still lies in the ground at Bullecourt .I have one with MF his mothers initials, Mary Fraser nee McDonald. My grandmother Johanna died the same year in childbirth, it was always said that she would take it very hard as they were very close. My mother was raised by Simon's spinster sisters in his home, she is 94 this year-- I would like to quote from an email Tim Whitford great great grand Nephew of Harry Willis now recovered at Pheasant Wood --sent me today--(-Like the devil,remembrance is in the details. Before someone can properly be remembered , they must be noticed, appreciated for who and what hey are. Its not enough to bother and recall a person's name after they're gone. Without knowing the details -noticing the details in the first place and remembering them-a person is lost while they're still alive--Neil Oliver 2005

As usual, therefore, I wonder if you are a member of "The Families and Friends of the First AIF "?

If not and you wish to learn more please respond by way of PM or direct response to this post.

Hi Sean - You're really starting to make me think you're on 'commission' !! :D But, seriously - glad to see you're still promoting the FFFAIF.

Hi Australian - Thanks for sharing the photo & some of your Great Uncle Simon's story - hope you'll share more.

Look out for a bus load of FFFAIF people hanging around outside the fence of the new cemetery on the day of the ceremony - most of us won't be allowed in either. We may have met the day the Cobbers statue was unveiled in Melbourne - I met so many that day!

Who knows, Lambis may be able to get you an 'honourary relative' place at the ceremony - he's pretty good at miracles.

Cheers, Frev

Who knows, Lambis may be able to get you an 'honourary relative' place at the ceremony

I sincerely hope that is not in doubt.

Mel

Ps Great photo and story

Hi Sean - You're really starting to make me think you're on 'commission' !! :D But, seriously - glad to see you're still promoting the FFFAIF.

G'day Frev,

Nice to hear from you.

No, not commissioned, just trying to promote this dedicated organization which is enhanced in every issue of 'Digger' by your wonderful articles.

Regards

Sean

KTMA

Tis a shame that two from Oz may not be there, those two who have devoted so much to the missing.

Let us hope for a miracle there.

Kim

The new Cobbers Coin will not be put into circulation, Lambis Englezos and I are very upset that children especially will not get to hold this coin with its symbol of Australian mate ship in their hands . It will be available to coin collectors and dealers at the price of $6.95 each . I imagine that you will be able to purchase at your local Post Office. I had intended to buy one at 20cents for every school child at the Cobbers School Fromelles, of course, its out of my reach now. as the have around 90 pupils. Lambis said we need to protest !! This is just a money making / grabbing exercise . the coin will be put in the cupboard and rarely seen, how tragic.