Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

w j hazelwood rifle brigade

nick ward408

574682 rifleman 2nd Rifle Brigade kia 19th nov 1917

I know this soldier started off with 1/17th Poplar and Stepney Rifles and was transferred at some point to 2nd Batttalion Rifle Brigade but I cant figure out when he transferred so I can follow his career via war diaries.would it be on the medal roll? or is there another way of finding out?also why did he keep his original number?

thanks in advance

Jim

Jim

I have a vague recollection that somewhere in the LLT there are Battalion links between the Londons and the RB and the KRRC,but can't think where to find it,later when I think again I will go straight to it ! That might be the reason for change,or it might be that your man was wounded/sick and when fit again was drafted to whatever unit needed to fill gaps.

No service records seem to have survived. SDGW says Killed in action 19.11.1917,and that he was born Holborn/lived Islington/enlisted Finsbury.

I also wondered if there was a link to both units within the 47 Division (141 Brigade) of the 1/17,but the 2 RB were with 25 Brigade of 8 Division !

Sotonmate

Edit : no sooner posted than remember it is in the 1917 re-numbering section,where the 1/17 is shown as affiliated to the RB.

why did he keep his original number?

Jim

It all boils down to the fact that the 17th Londons were affiliated to the Rifle Brigade and for transfers were treated as part of its affiliated Regiment. A soldier retained his number if transferring from/to battalions within the same Regiment and this was the case with W. J. Hazelwood.

The LLT has a good article on the Territorial renumbering here.... http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm. If you scroll down to the London Regiment section then all will become clear.

Regards

Steve

would it be on the medal roll?

Jim,

The transfer will be on the medal roll but it is extremely unlikely to be dated.

I've never seen such a date on the rifles medal rolls.

Cheers,

Mark

Jim

I have a vague recollection that somewhere in the LLT there are Battalion links between the Londons and the RB and the KRRC,but can't think where to find it ... Edit : no sooner posted than remember it is in the 1917 re-numbering section,where the 1/17 is shown as affiliated to the RB.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

This was also the subject of a lengthy Topic here on the GWF a while back. See these:

London Regiment's former Volunteer Rifle Corps units, Links between LR, KRRC and Rifle Brigade

Battalions of the London Regiment, 10th; 23rd, 32nd

The latter of these includes some excellent research by Pals shinglma (Mike Shingleton) and Wienand Drenth on the exact Army Orders that re-established the KRRC/RB (& other) affiliations with the various London Regiment territorial battalions.

Cheers,

Mark