Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Herbert Palmer 89665

John S

The above soldier is recorded as 'died' on 21 June 1917 and commemorated at Railway Dugouts Cemetery.

He is the only soldier recorded on the War Memorial in his village (Thorpe Langton, Leics). The inscription has eroded and is now being replaced by a new tablet commemorating his death.

I am trying to find out more about Herbert and the circumstances surrounding his death as the new commemorative tablet is to be consecrated in May.

I know it is a bit of a long shot but if any one can shed any light on this soldiers service and death I would be grateful.

Regards

John

John

You will get some idea of this soldier's death from the unit War Diary which I had hoped I could post here but the Artillery formations seem to have changed around a bit from Feb 1917,and maybe someone here can point you towards what that Diary reference might be now.

I do know that from Dec 1915 to late Jan 1917 119 Brigade RFA was attached to 38 Division and it's exploits are readable under WO95/2546 at the National Archives. Your man was a post 1915 entrant into the war so this is likely to be his unit Diary for most of the dates shown.

SDGW shows that he was Killed in Action, as opposed to Died which has a different connotation where casualties are concerned, the latter means that he died of wounds or sickness. He was born in Market Harborough and resident in Middlesborough.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thanks for your help.

You have explained one anomaly as the new commemorative tablet says 'killed in action' but CWGC says 'died' which had me wondering because as you say 'died' can mean something else, I wonder which is correct CWGC or 'Soldiers Died'

Market Harborough is very near Thorpe Langton but it is a surprise to find he was resident in Middles borough.

The other information regards 38 Div and that he was a post 1915 entrant gives me more to go on when I get back from Ypres.

Regards

John