Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No WW1 service record

littlebear

Can anyone tell me how to work out a soldier's enlistment date from his regimental number if his army record has not survived.

He was John William Arkless - regimental no. 241784 - of the 2/5th Lincolnshire Regiment.

Many thanks

wendyh

The records of James Henry Wrench, numbered 241785 survive, so that may give a pointer....

His record would suggest May 1916, possibly after being attested under the Derby Scheme in November/December 1915.

Steve.

Can anyone tell me how to work out a soldier's enlistment date from his regimental number if his army record has not survived.

He was John William Arkless - regimental no. 241784 - of the 2/5th Lincolnshire Regiment.

Many thanks

wendyh

Wendy

According to the excellent "Army Service No's" linked below 241768 joined 22nd Feb 1916, so he would have joined soon after between March and June possibly, the next number on the list 242057 from 3rd October 1916.

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/200...-battalion.html

Sam

Sam

Thanks for the link. Actually though, that 241768 number looks to be an attestation date rather than the date the number would have been issued. I've just re-checked numbers in that sequence and added a few more to that particular post. Steve's assessment though, based on 241785 looks to be spot on.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Wendy

The 2/5th Lincs first saw 'action' in Dublin in 1916, given his number and the numbers of other men serving from Grimsby and other northern towns, it would appear very likely that Mr. Arkless served during this time with them in Dublin.

No official records were kept as war diaries were only opened when a unit went abroad, Dublin/Eire at that time was not classed as abroad or as a foreign country.

The truth of the matter is that the 2/5th Lincs had a relatively easy time in Dublin. Most of their time was spent in reserve and later went to the South East to act as a part of the Police Force, they even helped the local community in collecting the harvest. I think they were billetted in Fermoy.

The unit then went to France in February, 1916. They were initially sent to an area East of Amiens for training and other duties such as repairing roads. Basically spending the next two weeks or so waiting for orders and exercising by marching back and forth.

The 2/5th took over trenches left by the Germans as they had fallen back 35 to 40 miles to take up defensive positions in the newly built Hindenburg Line. A slow deliberate move and delaying actions on the part of the Germans which caused our army a few problems along the way.

The unit left the Somme area in May, 1917.

If you would like a copy of the War Diary for 1st to 20th April, 1917 I can email a copy to you.

PM me with your email address.

Cheers,

Dick Whitworth (Grandson of No.2081 Pte. Dick Whitworth 1/5th Lincs of Grimsby.)