Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best value trench map cd/dvd

Johno7439

can anybody point me in the direction of the best value trench mapcd/dvd? The good lady will not allow me to spend £145 on the naval and military press one, (should never of had let her look over my shouder). My specific interest is Arras 1917, especially the fighting around The Chemical works and Roeux. Many thanks for your continued help!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remembering 285250 Private Peter Johnstone 6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders, killed 16th May 1917 Roeux.

Ewan,

If you are looking for a bargain buy, the best option is probably to invest in one or more of the WFA series of Map DVDs. They are a little clunky and basic to use - essentially a list and description of the map files on the disc - stored as jpegs - which you can open with your own image software or the provided free "erviewer".

Each title covers a part of the front and includes a range of maps of various scales plus, typically, some aerial photos. The volume for Arras is imminent and details, including a map listing, can be found at WFA Maps

This should fit the bill for your needs and is probably the only option that will meet with domestic approval at present.

Does the WFA have an online ordering facility for those discs? And does anyone know when the "about to be published" discs will be available?

Thanks

Isnt there a Free site somewhere that has half decent maps ,you would think so after all just about everything else is on the web

MC

A link to a website covering (as far as I know) all the 'digital' options (plus a couple of others for hard copies) for trenchmap purchases available at the moment , including a personal review of what I'd consider to be the best available on the market. Prices would seem to range from about £3.50 to £300+...HERE

Dave.

Dave,

I purchased one of your CDs from the popular internet auction site of choice (Somme Area CD), a couple of months ago, which was very useful, and very reasonably-priced. I can heartily recommend.

Rgds

DD

Just got back an email from the guy dealing with the Arras maps from WFA -

Arras squares 51B & 51C, A double discs set of the area around Arras. More than 384 maps and 290 photographs.

New cds on route to wfa shop will be on website at weekend.

Sorted:)

Colin

Many thanks chaps, have just been informed that due to imminent birthday a surprise may be coming my way. Fingers crossed that it's not a pork pie.