Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Robert Darling 37283 Tyneside Scottish

ianjonesncl

Corporal Robert Darling died in Arras whilst serving with 20th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (1st Tyneside Scottish). His death is recorded as 27th April 1917 by CWGC. (SDGW shows 28th April 1918).

He originally served with the Northern Cyclists Battalion (1397), before joining the Northumberland Fusiliers (37283). An obituary and article in the Berwick Journal 24th May 1917 stated "He had been out in France 10 months prior to receiving a fatal wound on 19th April last".

His MIC has no date of entry in to theatre. Based upon the obituary, it would indicate June 1916 - prior to the Somme Battle. Most colleagues I have discussed this with feel it is more likely Corporal Darling joined the Tyneside Scottish as a replacement for Somme casualties, and this would fit with an entry in the 20 NF War Diary for 10th August 1916 which details receiving a draft from the 1st Northern Cyclist Battalion.

Does anyone have any information as to when he entered France and when he joined the Tyneside Scottish ? Can any information be deduced from his number ?

Name:DARLINGInitials:RNationality:United KingdomRank:CorporalRegiment/Service:Northumberland FusiliersUnit Text:20th (Tyneside Scottish) Bn.Date of Death:27/04/1917Service No:37283Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:D. 51.Cemetery:ROEUX BRITISH CEMETERY

June 1916 would be about right for date of entry to theatre and he would have been held over at one of the I.B.D's. He was probably one of many sent to both the Tyneside Scots and Irish in the August to replace the 1st July casualties, as were lads from the East Yorks if I remember correctly.

Ironically the T.S. was to see a few of these replacements killed within a short time of them being absorbed, but the necessary paperwork hadn't reached the T.S. at the time of their deaths and so they were listed as being KIA with the units they actually set foot in France with and not the T.S.

Graham

Can anything be deduced from his number ?

Ian

Not a lot really - his old NCB number was issued around September 1914. The numbers issued to the TS & TI reinforcements were issued while in theatre and range from the series 371** through to 373** from around late August 1916. In the book written with John Sheen on the TS, I think I actually name some of those reinforcements killed with the TS prior to them receiving their new TS numbers. However I'm working away from home and so don't have the book handy.

Hi

From Page 123 of TS by GS and JS

This is giving details of 12/8/16

'A large draft of 221 men from 1/1 Northern Cyclists, 4/NF and 10/KOYLI joined the 20th Battalion whilst it was in the line. Within a few days Cyclist R P Burrell was killed in action and a dozen or so of the draft wounded'.

There is a large photo of D Coy 1/1 Norhern Cyclists in Tyneside Irish.

The 1st edition has the better photo as it is bigger than the hardback

regards

John

Tyneside Chinaman to the rescue once again. - Cheers John. See Tyneside Irish is now in hardback, so will have to get a copy when I'm next at home.

Graham / John

Once again many thanks for you help.

Out of interest Robert Darling's photo can be found at the Church of St Peter Scremerston .

I am not sure what uniform he is wearing - it looks as if it has a Fusilier collar badge, certainly nothing I have seen for the Tyneside Scottish.

What a lovely memorial and the photo shows him either as a pre-war regular or Territorial in the NF - shame his docs have probably gone the journey.

What a lovely memorial and the photo shows him either as a pre-war regular or Territorial in the NF - shame his docs have probably gone the journey.

Graham

I was wondering about him being pre-war Territorial or Regular and rejoined the colours as from his obituary it seems he was a a war time volunteer "The place of premier honour goes to the gallant lad, Corpl. Robt. Darling, late of Tynside Scottish, who, without waiting till compulsion came along, at once responded to the call for Volunteers, just a fortnight after war was declared and was, on leaving Scremerston Colliery, mobilised for training on North East Coast with Northern Cyclists Battalion."

Ian