Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Date authorized?

dutchbarge

Sorry, I know this is elementary stuff (and I have tried Google as well as the Forum's search engine to no avail) but can anyone tell me the date that wound stripes and overseas chevrons were authorized for wear?

Lots of differing information on the internet. Are ANY of the following authorization dates (gleaned from Google) correct?

MC: 28 Dec 1915

MM: 25 Mar 1916

1914 Star: ? April 1917

1914-15 Star: ?Dec 1918

WM: 29 July 1919

VM: ? 1919

Thanks, Bill

Sorry, I know this is elementary stuff (and I have tried Google as well as the Forum's search engine to no avail) but can anyone tell me the date that wound stripes and overseas chevrons were authorized for wear?

July 1916 for the Wounded Stripes:

Army Order 204. 6/7/16

the following distinctions in dress will be worn on the service dress jacket by all officers and soldiers who have been wounded in any of the campaigns since 4th August, 1914:-

'Strips of gold Russia braid, No.1, two inches in length, sewn perpendicularly on the left sleeve of the jacket to mark each occasion on which wounded.

In the case of officers, the lower end of the first strip of gold braid will be immediately above the upper point of the flap on cuff. Warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men will wear the gold braid on the left sleeve, the lower edge of the braid to be three inches from the bottom of the sleeve. The additional strips of gold braid, marking each subsequent occasion on which wounded, will be placed on either side of the original one at half-inch interval.

Gold braid and sewings will be obtained free on indent from the Army Ordnance Department; the sewing on will be carried out regimentally without expense to the public.'

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=wounded+stripe

Lots of differing information on the internet. Are ANY of the following authorization dates (gleaned from Google) correct?

MC: 28 Dec 1915

MM: 25 Mar 1916

1914 Star: ? April 1917

1914-15 Star: ?Dec 1918

WM: 29 July 1919

VM: ? 1919

Bill

I believe the dates for the MC and MM are correct, it being the date the Royal Warrant authorising them was signed.

As for the others I believe them to be;

1914 Star - 24th November 1917.

1914/1915 Star - 23rd December 1918.

British War Medal - 16th July 1919.

Victory Medal - 1st September 1919.

I got the details from The Times newspapers but haven't checked them against the relevant Army Orders.

Regards

Steve

Bill

I believe the dates for the MC and MM are correct, it being the date the Royal Warrant authorising them was signed.

I got the details from The Times newspapers but haven't checked them against the relevant Army Orders.

Regards

Steve

Thank you Steve...I appreciate the effort and the information. Now if you could only tell me when overseas chevrons were authorized.......? Thanks and cheers, Bill

July 1916 for the Wounded Stripes:

Army Order 204. 6/7/16

the following distinctions in dress will be worn on the service dress jacket by all officers and soldiers who have been wounded in any of the campaigns since 4th August, 1914:-

Hello Andrew,

I've a 1915 vintage OSD jacket to a fellow who, as an NCO was wounded during the Boer War. The jacket has no wound stripes, only his QSA and KSA medal ribbons. In light of the above A.O. am I correct in assuming that no wounds received before 4 Aug 1914 were grounds for wound stripes?

Cheers, Bill

Bill

Regards

Steve

MC was 1914 not 1915 . MC

MC was 1914 not 1915 . MC

Oops :blush: , it was indeed, sorry my error, should be December 28th 1914.

Steve

Hello Andrew,

I've a 1915 vintage OSD jacket to a fellow who, as an NCO was wounded during the Boer War. The jacket has no wound stripes, only his QSA and KSA medal ribbons. In light of the above A.O. am I correct in assuming that no wounds received before 4 Aug 1914 were grounds for wound stripes?

There was a thread that had all the AO's for the Wounded Stripes on here, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether in one of the forum shuffles...

Anyhow, IIRC originally this was the case, but later in the war (might even have been just post-war) was changed to allow earlier wounds to be counted (presumably from older soldiers complaining of the perceived unfairness of their pre-war wounds not counting).

Edit - silly me, was in the original link I posted!

"Army Order 1., dated 6th March, 1919 extended the eligibility to Officers, Soldiers and Nurses wounded in any campaign prior to August 4th, 1914. Official casualty lists constituted the authority."

"Army Order 1., dated 6th March, 1919 extended the eligibility to Officers, Soldiers and Nurses wounded in any campaign prior to August 4th, 1914. Official casualty lists constituted the authority."

Thanks Andrew, My guy was k.i.a. in 1915 so didn't live to wear the wound stripes earned in the Boer War. Thanks for the information. Cheers, BIll

Thanks Andrew, My guy was k.i.a. in 1915 so didn't live to wear the wound stripes earned in the Boer War. Thanks for the information. Cheers, BIll

Or see the introduction of the stripes, given it would be another year.

Or see the introduction of the stripes, given it would be another year.

Precisely!

Cheers, Bill