Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moss, Samuel Foden, MM Temp 2/Lt d.ofw. 28/3/18

dutchbarge

Hello,

I've exhausted my usual leads....LG....Army List etc. The only place I find him listed is in Officers Died In The Great War. He is listed under Royal Engineers, pg 47. Can anyone provide any information on this fellow? Obviously promoted from the ranks after 1916 (MM).

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill

This is your man 113355 Sjt Samuel F Moss R.E.then on to 2nd Lieutenant,the Archives have him as Samuel Frederick Moss.

Gary.

Commissioned 9.9.17

DoW 28.3.18

Widow living in Earlestown, Lancs.

Looks like the ref for the MM is "On R&F Roll RE101 B62/13083"

Entitled to 1915 Star, BWM & VM

Theatre of War: France

Date of entry: 13.9.15

Matches the CWGC entry:-

Name: MOSS, SAMUEL FODEN

Initials: S F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: "J" Special Coy.

Date of Death: 28/03/1918

Awards: M M

Additional information: Husband of Ellen Moss, of 47, Tamworth St., Earlestown, Newton-le-Willows, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVIII. F. 10.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Bill

Etaples was a coastal base area,well back from hostilities, for Hospitals and many other support facilities for the Army. It seems likely that your subject died of wounds/sickness there.

J Special Company RE operated special whizz-bangs which carried gas and oil-filled projectiles. These Companies used Lievens Projectors linked in batteries of 15 to deliver their goodies on targets pre-specified by their Divisional customers. From a couple of War Diaries I have read they had a hot time,as they were often sought out as targets by enemy artillery in the hope that they could nullify any deliveries being contemplated.

Your man will have a service record in the Officer series WO339,it's just a question of whittling it down to which as there are no entries for MOSS SF but five for MOSS S,he will be one of these but until the files are examined in situ at Kew Archives you won't know which one ! It is likely that his previous Other Rank service papers area also in the same file.

Sotonmate

PS Etaples being where it was,away from the front,still didn't escape the bombing from aircraft in June 1918 !

Thank you Gary, Verrico2209 and Sotonmate.........This REALLY helps me out. Cheers, Bill