Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information Accuracy Medal Card vs Pension

gdawson

I'm researching my Grandfathers service, and am one of the many who have no service record to work from.

On his medal card it lists him first (on the A line) as a Second Corporal with 11th Field COY RE, and then (on the B line) as a Temporary Quartermaster Sergeant also with the 11th Field COY RE. From this information am I to assume that he finished his service with 11th Field COY?

There is also a symbol on the card in two places that resembles an asterisk, is there any specific importance that should be attached to this?

Some other information we received regarding his pension indicates that he was discharged from 180th Tunnelling COY. Since the medal card was last processed in December 1920 and if the pension information was accurate, wouldn't the medal card have been updated with 180th COY?

William Dawson 3970 RE - medal card ref 36987.

Regards,

Greg

Was the asterisk against his higher rank and the War and British Medals or against his lower rank and a 1914 or 15 Star?

You are allowed to post the Medal Card on here if it was downloaded for your use.

The asterisk is against his higher rank, and on the top "Medal" line. I've attached an image sorry for the poor quality. There is also a "C." above the Q in "T/QMS" not sure what significance that has?

post-44862-1268170230.jpg