Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pte.ernest f burridge

Guest budge

This is my first post,not very confident but here goes.I want some information on my grandfathers service history from ww1,pte ernest f burridge,9th devons dow 5/10/1918 also curious of where is regiment would have been in france at the time of death.hoping someone out there can be of assistance.

Regards

Budge P

Hi Budge

Welcome to the Forum,do you have any other information on your man. i.e. his fathers name,how old he was or an address.?

Gary.

Budge

Here a page from the LLT at top left of this screen,which contains much info !

http://www.1914-1918.net/25div.htm

you will see that the 9 Devons were part of 7 Brigade of 25 Division from September 1918 and were ijnvolved in the Battle of Beaurevoir from 3 Oct 1918,for which you will also see a section,including a map of the general area which you can click on to see where it is.

Your GF died of wounds at one of three Casualty Clearing Stations back from the front line and in a village called Doingt,on the eastern edge of Peronne,which is where he is buried.

I was unable to find a service record for him,there was a better than 70% destruction of them in bombing in 1940.

Sotonmate

Hi Budge and welcome!

From CWGC:-

Name: BURRIDGE

Initials: E F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/10/1918

Service No: 28881

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 20.

Cemetery: DOINGT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Cemetery and potted history:-

Cemetery: DOINGT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Locality: Somme

Location Information: Doingt is a small village on the eastern outskirts of Peronne, on the left hand side of the D44 road to Ham and St. Quentin. The Cemetery is signposted from the centre of the village on the D199 road (towards Tincourt) and is situated behind the Communal Cemetery, which is to the left of the church.

Historical Information: Doingt was captured by the 5th Australian Division on 5 September 1918, and the village was completely destroyed in the fighting. In the same month, the 20th, 41st and 55th Casualty Clearing Stations arrived, remaining until October, when the cemetery was closed. It was made in three plots; Plot I contained only Commonwealth graves, Plot II only American, and Plot III the graves of both armies. The American graves were later removed by the American Graves Registration Services. Doingt Communal Cemetery Extension contains 417 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 1 being unidentified, and two burials from the Second World War. The extension was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

No. of Identified Casualties: 418

From Soldiers Died Great War born Witheridge Devon. enlisted Exeter. resided Llanishen Mon. Ralph.

Was his fathers name James and did he live at 28 Hilton Road.?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply,following my family history grandfather was down as "father unknown" where is the hilton rd you mention though,thanks again for replying.

Regards

Budge