Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Sloan Black Watch

brimarge

I have a photograph of my grandfathers brother in his in his Black Watch uniform, looking at the ancestry medal cards I don't see the Regiment Black Watch is its official name something else

Robert b. 1894 Ayrshire

Brian

The Black Watch are the Royal Highlanders.

I can only see one matching MIC, for S/3942 Private Robert Sloan of the 9th Battalion.

The card itself shows that he went to France on 14/7/15 but was discharged medically unfit on 23/6/16 (para 392 (xvi) King's Regulations).

Can't find any service/pension records on Ancestry, I'm afraid.

Adrian

Shame the service records seem to have gone Brian but you can get an idea of where the Battalion served by looking for the War Diary on the National Archives on-line catalogue. It may be downloadable for a fee.

Peridot

Thanks Adrian and Peridot

With no enlistment records etc, I don't think I am going to get much further or even be sure this is him. One of his nieces is still alive, I will ask her if she has any recollection of him coming out of the army early.

He emigrated to the USA with his family in 1920, returning on his own in 1949 terminally ill and died 2 months later.

Brian

Adrian,

You may have got the right person, checking my records I realised that I had not got his marriage cert, thats a good thing about the Scottish system you can get them online.

Anyway he married 31 Dec 1917 and his occupation is given as Engine Keeper and he is living in Wishaw, Scotland, so out of the army

Brian

The medal card says discharged as per KR 392 but no SWB listed so must have been for medical or other reason than wounded, notice discharge date is 23/6/1916 one week before the start of the Somme, so it possibly saved his life.

Brian

.... so must have been for medical or other reason than wounded

Hi Brian,

No, he was wounded, most probably at the Battle of Loos on 25th Sep 1915. He is named in a casualty list of wounded 9th Black Watch, published in The Scotsman, 22nd Oct 1915, p5. The time lag between wounding and publication of casualty list tends to be in the 3 week/1 month range, so this fits with the Battle of Loos. On 25th Sep 1915, 240 men of the 9th Black Watch were killed in action, so Robert did well to come through it.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hello Brian,

I may have a couple of wee idea which might shed some light on him, I will tell you about it on Saturday.

All the best,

Stewart

If he was wounded and then discharged why no SWB

Does the Scotsman list of wounded give any personal info that would help to fully establish it is the right man. address, mother/father/son of etc

I had just picked this up on Google " By the end of 1914 the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th "Service Battalions" had been raised in Scotland. The 8th Battalion arrived in France in May 1915 and the 9th Battalion in July 1915 – both fought at the great battle of Loos and suffered heavily ".

Brian

Hello Brian,

Nice to meet you on Saturday. Did the disc work? I forgot to tell you a way that you may be able to positively identify him. If you go to the Black Watch museum on a Tuesday or Wednesday and ask to speak to Tom Smyth, the Archivist. He has some Depot enlistment books for this period which cover the 'S/' series of numbers. With a bit of luck your chap will be in one of them and it should tell you when and where he enlisted and also his age. They sometimes have more information recorded, you just never know.

Tom only works on a Tuesday and Wednesday. It might be worth phoning a week before to make an appointment.

All the very best,

Stewart

Thanks Stewart,

Yes the discs opened with no problem, i have only had a brief look as i am away visiting my daughter near Elgin. If i am lucky i might come across a name i recognise.

Thanks for the Black Watch museum suggestion, i will try this and i am sure mentioning your name will open a few doors, will let you know in due course

Brian