Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best Section in 56 Brigade R.G.A Silver medal - 1918

greatbeanbags

Can anyone tell me more about this medal please? It was made by Vaughton & Sons in Birmingham & is silver hallmarked & dated 1918.

I have several questions regarding the medal.

1. What was 56 Brigade in 1918?

2. What does R.G.A stand for?

3. Who was Lt. Col Warthy who presented the medal?

4. The recipient was GNR Crossley. France is engraved as is 'Left 5x 220 58'. Presumably Crossley was a Artillery Gunner who won some sort of artillery firing competition?

Any info will be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

post-51610-1268143876.jpg

post-51610-1268143989.jpg

Gladiator,

The competition was actually held on the 14-8-1918, for the “best turned out and drill section” amongst all the Bty’s comprising 56 Brigade at that time. (the higher formation Brigade 220 Siege Battery were part of). I suspect all the gunners including Crossley, NCO’s and Subaltern's of the 6 in How section would have received such a medal. The Bde was currently in reserve at the time positioned at Pas, but under orders to be ready to move at two hours notice.

It actually reads:

Left SX as in Left section

220 SB (220th Sge Bty)

RGA = Royal Garrison Artillery.

Lt Col Warthy commanded 56 Bde at the time and presented them.

Rgds Paul

Gladiator,

The competition was actually held on the 14-8-1918, for the "best turned out and drill section" amongst all the Bty's comprising 56 Brigade at that time. (the higher formation Brigade 220 SB were part of). All the gunners including Crossley, NCO's and Subaltern of the 6 in How section would have received such a medal. The Bde was currently in reserve at the time, but under orders to be ready to move at two hours notice.

It actually reads:

Left SX as in Left section

220 SB (220 Sge Bty)

RGA = Royal Garrison Artillery.

Lt Col Warthy commanded 56 Bde at the time and presented them.

Rgds Paul

Thank you so much Paul - it's fantastic that you know so much & have replied so quickly. Some more questions for you if you don't mind taking the time to review and answer them please?

Have you come across this medal before?

You mentioned all the various recipients - how many men in total would have received the medal? Presumably they would all have been individually engraved?

What would the competition have entailed? Best turned out is self explanatory but what does drill section entail?

Can you please tell me what Sge means?

In your opinion might it be possible to find a medal card on Ancestry for GNR Crossley RGA - also Lt. Col Warthy?

Clive

Clive,

On double checking, it’s Lieut Colonel W.Arthy (Walter Arthy). Sorry my error; and yes there is a Mic for him.

As for Crossley, without a first initial there are some 62 possible, so I hope you subscribe to Ancestry.

Rgds

Paul

Clive,

On double checking, it’s Lieut Colonel W.Arthy (Walter Arthy). Sorry my error; and yes there is a Mic for him.

As for Crossley, without a first initial there are some 62 possible, so I hope you subscribe to Ancestry.

Rgds

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the Lt. Col's name correction & MIC availability.... also for confirming Sge stands for Seige in a PM. Medal came from Bridgnorth so Crossley could be as a 'Shropshire Lad'!

• 5 months later...

Copy of MIC for Col.W Arthy.

The 1918 silver medal awarded to Gnr. Crossley by the Colonel doesn't really fit into my medal collecting area. If any forum pals would like the medal & the MIC in colour I am happy to consider a sale or even a swop of some sort. Pm me by all means thumbsup.png

post-51610-072766700 1281535385.jpg