Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Order/Medal of St. George 3rd Class

SteveE

John (Jack) SMITH 13710 Serjeant 25th Batalion Royal Fusiliers is listed in the book "Activities of the British Community in Argentina During the Great War" as having been awarded a Russian honour, namely the; St George 3rd Class.

Try as I might I can find no record of this award having been made, i.e. I can't find a London Gazette entry. Can anybody help?

Regards

Steve

Hi Put out a call to Peter ie .. Foreign Gong (PM maybe) on the forum he is really good at foreign Decorations

MC

This seems to be him:-

Name: John Smith

Regiment or Corps: Royal Fusiliers, Royal Engineers

Regimental Number: 13710, WR/208326

Fortunately got the 1915 Star, so can say that his theatre of war was 4B and his date of entry was 10.4.15. There seems to be a note that he was retired "992 KR 1923".

Not sure if any of that's useful.

All

Many thanks for your replies. This award is proving elusive, I can usually manage to extract the data from the Gazette eventually (if it's there) but this one's got me beat. From other Gazette entries that I have found for the 25th RF men the Russian awards seem to have accompanied a British award (either a DCM or MID) but this man is the exception. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a self award but then why on earth choose an obscure Russian award?

Thanks once again.

Steve

All

Many thanks for your replies. This award is proving elusive, I can usually manage to extract the data from the Gazette eventually (if it's there) but this one's got me beat. From other Gazette entries that I have found for the 25th RF men the Russian awards seem to have accompanied a British award (either a DCM or MID) but this man is the exception. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a self award but then why on earth choose an obscure Russian award?

Thanks once again.

Steve

Steve did you try a PM to foreign gong on the forum thats his niche he has a huge database .

As to self award of Russian award maybe because they are hard to find at the best of times .I had a Serbian Decoration i looked off and on for weeks asked and Peter... forgein gong and he confirmed to me the details in about 30 minutes !!!

MC

MC

I've PM'd Peter this morning, hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on the subject.

Regards

Steve