Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Education needed on Pickelhaubes

1st AIF

I am interested to get a pickelhaube and have been watching them a bit on ebay. They seem to vary a lot in price, i guess depending upon the condition, officer vs OR etc. What is a reasonable price for a reasonable quality officers black leather pickelhaube? I bid on this and lost - was this sold for a fair, cheap or expensive price http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...EOIBUAA:AU:1123 One Aussie dollar equals about 60p these days so this one sold for AUD$1525 would be about 900 quid or so.

Len

Hi Len

I am sure there has been a long thread on this on the Forum if you search, and there is also an abundance of info on the Internet. I have got one but know next to nothing about it apart from wishing it could talk!! Paid £65 many years ago.

Peridot

Len,

You are entering a mine field and therefore beware, buy from a reputable dealer and also ensure they have a guarentee policy.

Possible pitfalls...

1. Wrong plate added.

2. Modern cockades.

3. Modern chin strap.

4. Complete modern copy all round.

5. Repro liners.

6. Plate and cockades and stamps all mismatch.

7. Cut down shell.

There are so many variations. I would prefere a good conditioned common line regiment model rather than a poor condition uniquely plated regiment. Do you want a wartime economy variant made of tin or the grey 1915 models which are most common and command £350 to £500.

Expect to pay upto and above £500 for a brass plated prussian EM model and considerably more for unique plates / Guards etc.

Officers versions fetch £900 to £1700 depending on type, dealer, condition etc.

My big tip, buy the books and do your research or you will get stung.

I now have ten of which two were bought when I had less experience and perhaps I would not buy them now!

Regards

TT

Len

The one you missed getting seems to me (no expert) like a good, 100% ok example. Everything about it has the same patina and general look. I don't know current market prices but it sounds fair.

This subject is indeed a minefield. Another problem with pickelhaubes is that they were refurbished during their working life, so that sometimes you have to distinguish between that work and modern work. I have just the one pickelhaube, a grey metal Prussian one. It has had two lots of plate holes, and has vulcanised fibre peaks front and back, but is 100% correct and was probably converted from a worn-out brass model.

Generally speaking, the more expensive and elaborate the helmet model, the more care you have to exercise. A bit of common sense and careful observation should be enough for a grey metal Prussian example, the commonest and cheapest. Finding a reputable dealer is however a problem, especially when you can't handle what you're buying first. A 14-day return is no good if you don't figure it out for wrong until 3 months later. My suggestion would be if possible to buy from someone knowledgable that you personally know. Or get a knowledgable friend to check it out for you. If neither of these is an option, do as much research as you possibly can, in fact do that anyway. Check out Tony Schnurr's excellent site, "Kaiser's Bunker". Look at collections on the Net. When you think you're ready, take a deep breath and go for it. Be prepared to pay, because trying to get one on the cheap is a sure recipe for disappointment.

Sadly, there is no guarantee against getting ripped off except experience or good luck. But if you follow this advice then you'll be as well prepared as you can.

Good luck,

W.

Thank you all for your sound advice (and any others yet to reply). My main theme is AIF infantry medals, so if I can return the favour please ask.

Len

If you have the chance, handle examples at gun shows/ militaria fairs. Ask before handling and show that you are being carefull by suporting the underneath.-the lining may be lose. The chinstrap may also be very fragile. Show that you are respecting the item. Ask 'is it all original?' and the seller should then mention anything he thinks is post Great War or restored. If he is vague, probably best not think of buying from him as he may be avoiding somthing. The more interested you seem to the seller the more he will open up.

Its the same for all items at a militaria fairs, the more respect and interest you show for an item the more info. you get. Study up a bit so you can talk the talk about the various parts. This all sounds obvious but I help a mate out on his stall sometimes in the UK. Some people just think its all put out for them to play with- don't try to put on a pickelhaube!Cheers, Paul.

Links to a sites on the web.

http://www.pickelhauben.net/

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/

http://faithassociates.com./ Yellow menu bar, top of page.

It took me years to 'part out' or otherwise dispose of the pickelhauben, pelzmutzen and tschapkas I acquired early on. Believe me, it takes a lot longer to sell something that's dodgey if you're honest about it that than if you're out to trick a newcomer to the game. As the others have said, there are just so many ins and outs to collecting Imperial German headgear that it either takes years of study (and still getting it wrong sometimes) or finding a dealer you trust. A good primer on pickelhauben is Tony Schnurr's (a Canadian) website, kaisersbunker. Google it...it's well worth it. I've picked up some really great spikes on eBay, but the last one was several years ago...today one finds mostly 'parts' helmets. Helmut Weitze Militaria (Hamburg) has great, correct stuff....but he's pricey. If you're only looking for a spike to display with your medals I'd stick with a M1895 Prussian line regiment (black leather and gilt furnishings). They are very attractive, representative of the breed and reasonably affordable. Stay away from the rarer states as almost no one outside of serious collectors can tell the difference and they will cost LOTS more. Good Hunting.

Cheers, Bill