Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

some advice please..

Charlotte

hiya all , thanks to the Long Long Trail i have been able to find out al about one of my great grandfathers who was in the 1st battalion K.O.S.B and where they were posted through the war, but i am having problems finding out about my other great grandfather who was in the RHA . i have no idea where to start looking for his brigade. could some one point me in the right direction . They both survived the war.

Hi Charlotte

we need as much information as possible to help. Do you have full name date of birth where was he from any documents or postcards home which may have a service number on?

Regards

hiya kingsman64

thanks for the quick reply :)

well my great grandfather was James Richardson, born 8/2/1896 in Hawick Scotland. I have a photo of him in uniform and i think it has a badge with RHA on his right shoulder and on the left side was a braid. My family are under the impression that he signed up when war broke out but from reading about the RHA on The Long Long Trail i know there were no new armies formed,so he must of signed up before the outbreak of war. Can't think of anything else right know but if i remember something i will let you know

cheers very much for any help you can give me.

Charlotte

Hello Charlotte, welcome to the forum. Although no new RHA units were formed for the new armies, it is quite possible for him to have enlisted during the war, or even to have been conscripted (from early 1916 onwards) and posted as a replacement draft to an RHA unit.

Watch out too, for the RHA badges are very similar to the RFA, and indeed the two were organisationally known as the Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery.

hiya Chris

thanks for explaining that ,just Charlotte taking things too literally again lol :rolleyes: ..

Papa Richardson was in the RHA, as years ago he told one of my uncles, who was in the Scots Guards, all about it . Papa Richardson was badly affected by the whole experience (as everyone who was in the war) and my uncle was the only one he felt would understand as at the time he was posted in Ireland.

I have asked my uncle if he knew where my papa had signed up but he didn't know.

So i was hoping someone could maybe point me in the right direction as to which city or town he could of enlisted ..

He came from Hawick Scotland which is in the scottish borders .

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte,

I believe there is some background information which may help in the book

All Those Fine Fellows - Hawick and the First World War. It is available from Naval & Military Press.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm

will pop away doon to the local library and see if they've got a copy in..

Cheers

Charlotte