Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20155 Pte Joseph Seymour K.O.S.B.

roughdiamond

Hi folks

Trying to get info on a friends Grandfather, can't find a Pension or service record for him but got the MIC below, from it, his arrival date in the Balkans means he was either a 1st, 1/4th or 1/5th Bn re-enforcement, he survived the War which is confirmed by "Demob" in the remarks.

What did catch my eye was the " 1 " above "K.O.Sco.Bord", anyone came across this on a MIC before and did it eventually prove to indicate the Man's Bn?

If it does I can then tell her to get the book on the 29th Div to give her an idea where he might have served, if not it'd be the 52nd Div, I'm going to e-mail her to find out if he was a Scot, what she did say in her original e-mail though was that in 1919 he was "Back as a civilian in Oldham", whether that indicates back from the War or back to where he previously lived, I'll confirm.

Finally for the return of the medals code (992 K.R. 1923), am I right in saying it was either because they were undelivered or needed adjustment? if for an adjustment, would that normally be indicated on the MIC.

Cheers as always

Sam

Sam

I would say 1 Battalion too.

I took it that only the 15 Star was returned ? 8362/adt maybe means that it was returned for amendment. The 1915 Star original Medal Roll will probably show something. It is at Kew in the WO329 series.

Sotonmate

Sam

I would say 1 Battalion too.

I took it that only the 15 Star was returned ? 8362/adt maybe means that it was returned for amendment. The 1915 Star original Medal Roll will probably show something. It is at Kew in the WO329 series.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that, even without the Service record, a lot can be gleaned from what the Divs did and as the 1st went to France in early 1916 and the 4th and 5th stayed in Egypt and Palestine till 1918, it'd be handy if I could sort out which one.

I'm not sure about it only being the 1915 Star being returned though, normally isn't there only 1 reference pertaining to all medals e.g. when they were forfeited, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I research the KOSB and so can give you further info on 20155 Pte Joseph Seymour:

Enlisted on or about 1st June 1915

Posted to 3rd (Res) KOSB (for training)

Posted to 1st KOSB, at Gallipoli, November 1915

Wounded/invalided back to UK (date not known)

On recovery, posted to 6th KOSB on Western Front (date not known)

Captured during 3rd Battle of the Scarpe (Arras Offensive), 3rd May 1917

The Scotsman 19th June 1917 - named in a long list (approx. 200) of 'missing' KOSB - Seymour, 20155, J. (Oldham)

The Scotsman 17th July 1917 - named in a very short list (3 men) of KOSB men 'Previously reported missing, now reported prisoners of war in German hands' - Seymour, 20155, J. (Oldham)

Hope this adds a little more detail. Since he served with both the 1st and 6th Battalions, a better book to get may be The KOSB in the Great War by Capt Stair Gillon.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart

What can I say other than you are a star, I'll pass this on and I'm sure Pat will be delighted, I can be almost certain she knew nothing of him being a POW or she'd have mentioned it, I had a quick look on the NA's for him in the POW debriefs but there's no mention of him.

Again thank you.

Sam

Hi

as for this " Finally for the return of the medals code (992 K.R. 1923), am I right in saying it was either because they were undelivered or needed adjustment? if for an adjustment, would that normally be indicated on the MIC. "

I have previously come across this - Kings Regulation 1923- 992. Medals which, at the end of one year, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the Secretary, The War Office.

So looks like he did not get it

regards

Robert