Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th batt sherwod foresters

septimus 829

hi everyone does anyone know anything about a three-division assault on the somme on feb 17th 1917 and if the 10th batt sherwood foresters where involved my imformation comes from the book forgotten voices by max arther [a good read] the reason i want to know is because my grandfather d o ws the next day he died at the ccs where grovetown cemetery is now many thanks paul

This was the action at Miraumont, involving 2nd, 18th and 63rd Divisions of II Corps. 10th S.F. were in 17th Division and this was in VI Corps I think; therefore not involved as far as I can find.

Jim

Just realised a mistake in that 17th Division was only in VI Corps after the beginning of the Scarpe battles and was attached to the Cavalry Corps before April 9th. I can't properly track it in February (it was in reserve in the early part of the year) but I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will find where your grandfather was and what he was engaged in.

Jim

Just realised a mistake in that 17th Division was only in VI Corps after the beginning of the Scarpe battles and was attached to the Cavalry Corps before April 9th. I can't properly track it in February (it was in reserve in the early part of the year) but I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will find where your grandfather was and what he was engaged in.

Jim

thanks jim

Hi Paul

I can find no reference in Battalion History or War Diary (attached) to any asault..........just seems another quite day on the Western front for the 10th Battn

post-4619-1268082168.jpg

Parhaps he was wounded in the relief?

cheers

Mike

Hi Paul

I can find no reference in Battalion History or War Diary (attached) to any asault..........just seems another quite day on the Western front for the 10th Battn

post-4619-1268082168.jpg

cheers

Mike

Hoyte's book on 10th has -

'The battalion was in the line from January 28th to 30th, from February 3rd to 5th, from 9th to the 13th and again from the 17th to the 19th.'

He also mentioned an enemy raid on 5th Feb but only says that 2 men of 'A' Company were missing.

He must have been wounded whilst they were holding the trenches during this period.

I think M Arthur is referring to -

Actions of Miraumont 17th -18th Feb 1917 - II Corps - 2nd, 18th and 63rd Divisions.

Steve M

Hi Paul

post-4619-1268082168.jpg

cheers

Mike

Hi Paul

thanks everyone

post-4619-1268082168.jpg

cheers

Mike

Hoyte's book on 10th has -

'The battalion was in the line from January 28th to 30th, from February 3rd to 5th, from 9th to the 13th and again from the 17th to the 19th.'

He also mentioned an enemy raid on 5th Feb but only says that 2 men of 'A' Company were missing.

He must have been wounded whilst they were holding the trenches during this period.

I think M Arthur is referring to -

Actions of Miraumont 17th -18th Feb 1917 - II Corps - 2nd, 18th and 63rd Divisions.

Steve M

thanks steve