Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Soldier

mtrpltpara

Hello All, I was doing some research in back copies of the local paper and found a mention of the chap i was looking for who died of wounds, the report also states "brother is now lying wounded". This would be 13196 Pte John Brown, Border Reg. I have looked back several months for a mention, to no avail. Is it possible someone with the resource would be able to give me a date/SWB number?

Regards,

Bill.

Bill

There is no SWB issue on his Medal Index Card - he was discharged on 1.5.1919 and was entitled to three campaign medals. First into war theatre (France)26.9.1915 with the 8th Battalion,which was with 75 Brigade of 25 Division.

Nothing found in service or pension records.

Sotonmate

Bill

There is no SWB issue on his Medal Index Card - he was discharged on 1.5.1919 and was entitled to three campaign medals. First into war theatre (France)26.9.1915 with the 8th Battalion,which was with 75 Brigade of 25 Division.

Nothing found in service or pension records.

Sotonmate

Many Thanks for the reply, looks as though the paper made a mistake, i would imagine the next of kin would have given them the info. about the one who died, as he was returned to the area for burial, i now cant understand the paper reporting his brother being wounded. As you have so kindly searched the records, the paper must have had a mix up.

Regards,

Bill.

After further thought i am now wondering if the brother in question might be James Brown, unfortunately as yet i have no evidence that he joined the Army, but his 3 other brothers were all Border Regiment. As John wasnt wounded, if the paper report is correct then it must be James who was "lying wounded".

I'm not sure the lack of an SWB indicates that he wasn't injured - I've seen service records where injured men return to the front in due course. I understood SWBs were for men returning home permanently so that people would know they'd done their bit for King and country. Just read one set of papers where the chap was sent "home" at one point but returned to the front, presumably after a suitable convalescence. I think you'd need to see his records to know what really happened to him, but sadly it would seem they haven't survived if Sotonmate can't locate them.

v2009

I didn't find them. It doesn't mean that they are definitely not there !

Sotonmate

True - having just found some of C H Tharby's (Kent) papers in with Frederick's (ASC), anything's possible...

Lots of James Browns in the Border Regiment!

Lots of James Browns in the Border Regiment!

Indeed!!! thats the problem, what i really need is one from Salter Cottages who was also wounded, would tie everything up nicely!

Bill.